HFCS feeding and ratios

Default HFCS feeding and ratios

Hello.

I've discovered a source for HFCS this past summer and have been feeding my hives as a mixture of approx 25% HFCS/H20 with a little mann lake pro health added. The bees have been doing well with it and now it's getting time to 'bulking' them up for the winter. Here in SC we generally have a small and sporadic pollen and nectar flow during the winter time but not always. I also have available, almost year round, dry pollen sub so that I can determine how the 'normal' pollen flow is going and adjust as needed. As usual the bees will take as needed and not if there's 'better' natural out there.

Back to the HFCS feeding. As the HFCS I'm purchasing by the drum if in a 55% concentration should I switch to a 'straight' HFCS concentration now, or perhaps just nudge the percentage up to about 80 or 90% to thicken it up more? I've been told that the Dextrose solids amount is not greater than 42% of the solids - and I also know that bees seem to like Dextrose better. That said - it's a lot easier to mix pre-mixed concentrations as needed in my 35 gallon feeder than to try and mix sugar in heated water and then add to my jars. I've read several older listing/notes/claims that having at least a 10% H20 mixture is better but just not sure.

I'm looking for advice on the ratio of HFCS to H20 - not looking to create a debate about feeding - either in the 'feeding' case, or hfcs vs sugar environments.

thanks in advance ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: HFCS feeding and ratios

Quote Originally Posted by seapro220 View Post
    Hello.

I've discovered a source for HFCS this past summer ...

thanks in advance ...
    Ok, what’s your source? Inquiring minds in SC want to know...
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I get it from a guy in Lancaster who gets it directly from his work place.

Default Re: HFCS feeding and ratios

Adding 10% water by volume makes a nice feed. It takes a bit of stirring to get it properly incorporated.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney