Buying an Extractor.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Buying an Extractor....

Quote Originally Posted by AlanInNJ View Post
    Thanks again for all the comments.

Agreed, the extractor is a bit of a luxury. I know there are some who beekeep to supplement income, and that changes the game considerably. For me this is a hobby which I am really enjoying. High end fishing rods/reels outfits can run upwards of $1000. Golf clubs, shotguns, camping/backpacking gear, etc, etc, are similar. To me it's something that will make the hobby more enjoyable, so I am going to buy one.

And hey, if it all fails miserably someone on this board might get a great deal on a barely used extractor on craigslist.....from me!
    I agree! Compared to some hobbies, horses for one, purchasing an extractor is pretty inexpensive, making honey extraction much easier. I purchased my 2 frame extractor in my 2nd year of beekeeping, I love it. I've 4 hives, with no intention of expanding.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Alan, there is quite a bit of good advise here....
    Personally, I never did C&S, I wanted the drawn comb as a resource to give back to the hive. For my first several years, we just did a 2F hand crank, when we started hitting 500lb at a pull the "labor of love" became an exhaustive marathon... And at that point jumped to a 10F motorized.

If you are going to stay 4 hives, I would look at the 3/6 Frame, many already mentioned. The reason, if you run 9 frames in a 10F box for honey production, it works mathematically. Twelve loads and all the hives are harvested. Just my 2cents...

Yep, great info on this thread. I thought I would share my experience.......

After much research and re-reading of this thread, I ordered a cheap, 2 frame power extractor online. I figured, for $200, with my limited use, it would be fine. I received it, used it to extract my 12 shallow frames, and the variable speed controlled stopped working before I finished. It got the job done, but full on or full off is a little hairy. I am working on returning that unit.

Yesterday I placed an order with Maxant for their 4 frame power extractor. If for some crazy reason I outgrow the 4 frame basket I can upgrade to the 9 frame basket. Life is short, I can't take it with me, might as well just do it. And I SHOULD have bought the Maxant from the beginning! Turns out some of you folks know a thing or two! I will be set for 2020 and onward, and I will loan it out to a couple friends who keep bees.

The good news? This past weekend I harvested my first 20 pounds of honey. I'll have plenty to share with family and friends which for now is my only goal. It's quite a satisfying feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    I agree! Compared to some hobbies, horses for one, purchasing an extractor is pretty inexpensive, making honey extraction much easier. I purchased my 2 frame extractor in my 2nd year of beekeeping, I love it. I've 4 hives, with no intention of expanding.
    The cost of horse keeping makes beekeeping seem like shopping at the Salvation Army.

All of this basically reminds of one thing....

During most all gold rushes, people who made the most money were - the "shovel" sellers and various "service providers".
    All the same.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    All of this basically reminds of one thing....

During most all gold rushes, people who made the most money were - the "shovel" sellers and various "service providers".
    All the same.
    Don't forget to buy your apivar for $12 per hive, just for a single treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Keep watching right here: https://www.kelleybees.com/2-frame-p...extractor.html It is fall, and if they do what they've done for the last couple of years that two frame extractor is going to go on clearance, and you'll find yourself buying two of them to get the free shipping because two is cheaper than one plus shipping.
    $99 each right now
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Don't forget to buy your apivar for $12 per hive, just for a single treatment.
    Since I don't treat, I don't buy Apivar.

Anyway, it'd be $12x18 hives = $216.
    What?
    Just a single treatment?
    Forget-about-it.
    Not going that way.

I need these money for the various kids' programs (don't even start me on the college cost discussions) - NOT the silly bugs.
    My bug program always has been free and it will continue being free.
    That is the whole point of it - it must stay FREE and provide us with some return in bee products, in exchange for my time spent.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    $99 each right now
    99 for a 2 frame is not a bad deal. 2 frame should work up to 8 or so hives. then decide to stay there or get more $tuff
    GG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123