Winter: Moving a full capped medium to new hive

Scenario: I'm in North Texas just above Dallas. I got a new hive in August that has 9 frames in a single brood chamber and it has a little under two frames of capped honey. I was told to supplemental feed the bees over winter.

I have an existing hive with one brood chamber and 2 full medium supers that are 80% capped. I still have the queen excluder on so the supers are all honey.

SHB and mites have been checked on both hives and neither have an issue.

Questions: any concern with moving a super of honey to the new hive and not feeding them sugar syrup over the winter?

If I move the super, should I freeze it for a few days before placing it on the new hive?

Any concern with the old hive attacking the new hive to try to get their honey back? The hives are about 15 yards apart.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Winter: Moving a full capped medium to new hive

I would move a super over, just as you thought. No need for feeding that way, and the hive would feel more secure having a super of honey on it.
    I would not use any queen excluders, it is the time of year that I would remove them.
    I would not freeze the super before moving it, I see no need of that since both hives are clean from SHB and Varroa.
    There should not be a problem with bees robbing it back to the hive the super came from.
    I think that your initial thinking about it is sound.
    Hopefully you have both hives over winter well for you.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

When I do that, long as there are no health issues i just move the whole super, bees and all, onto the other hive. Cannot recall ever having a problem.

Just, I always use an excluder so as to stop the queen accidentally walking up into bees who don't know her yet. That might just be for a week or two, as agree also with RayMarler's advice not to leave an excluder on through winter.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Yes, me too Oldtimer. Move the super with bees to another hive, over an excluder. Then remove the excluder after a few days. I've not had problems doing this.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Thank you for the affirmation and advice RayMarler & Oldtimer!