Bee hive spacing.

Default Bee hive spacing.

So I currently have 2 hives and they are spaced about 15 feet apart and both are doing very well, i will be picking up 3 additional hives and wanted to know how close i can place the hives next to each other so i don't have a robbing problem. My backyard is approximately 50 feet wide and back onto to a ravine, so no issues with any neighbours. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee hive spacing.

I draw no correlations between proximity of the hives and robbing. When they have the urge/stimulation, they'll rob across the yards as quick as they'll rob the neighbor. In my yards most of the hives are situated on 8' stands and can hold 5 full size langs.

As a dearth kicks in I try to avoid leaving equipment open during inspections, minimize "spilling" nectar, feeding any aromatic syrup, etc. Also judicious use of robber screens as a prophylactic rather than after any robbing has started.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Hi, I like to leave about two feet between my hives. I use a frame holder to hold one frame when going thru my boxes. This makes for easer inspections. If worried about robbing you can keep robbing screens on your haves. As for drifting bees, you can paint the bottom boxes different colors, shapes or design on them for the bees to find their home easer.

Hive spacing is a matter of preference for you. How much space do want or like around the hive.....they can be as close as touching each other if you'd like.

Spacing has very little to no effect on robbing tendency.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Spacing has very little to no effect on robbing tendency.
    I find this to be true as well. Robbing can be originating from a hive that sits right next to the hive being robbed, or from one that's a mile away. It has nothing to do with vicinity, but everything to do with opportunity.

I have most of my hives set on on concrete blocks. I like them spaced out far enough so I have a little elbow room, and enough space to mow between the hives. If several are set up side by side in a row you might have minor considerations with drifting, but I find drifting is not an issue of they are a few feet or more apart. Set yours up however you prefer, it doesn't really matter.
    To everything there is a season....

Thank you all for the input, when I get the 3 hives I will space them about a box width apart so it will make inspections a little easier.

Mine are all touching... and I don't think there is a significant difference between that and further apart as far as robbing. Maybe there is a slight difference, but it's not detectable to me.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Hives1.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF