Retrieved a queen that was being balled, what are her chances?

Default Retrieved a queen that was being balled, what are her chances?

One of my mating nucs was robbed just now. I got in there and found the queen in a ball. I managed to get her out and she is in a JZ BZ queen cage sitting beside me right now. She isn't moving but she is breathing. She has crawled up into the protected zone of the cage. She has a little bit of honey and the plug is made out of Kayman Reynold's queen candy.

Does she have much chance of recovering?

Update, It has been a little more than an hour since I caged her. She's moving a little bit more. I went and picked out three tiny nurse bees that looked like they were recently emerged and put them in the cage with her. They look like they are attending to her, not aggressive. I put a dab of honey on the cage, hopefully they'll feed her. I guess now I'll just wait and see.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 09-21-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Retrieved a queen that was being balled, what are her chances?

Interested in how this turns out.
    Andy

Andy, so am I. She is doing much better now.

Her mating nuc is dead. The robbers killed it. I moved her brood to her sister's nuc and the nurses jumped right on it. In fact it was that frame that I went to when I got the attendant bees that I added to the queen cage.

The plan at the moment is if she is alive in the morning then I'll take a frame of capped brood and shake two more frames of nurse bees. I 'll give her her own frame of brood back after her sister babysat for it the night, a frame of stores and a frame feeder. I'll introduce her as I would any new queen.
    Zone 6B

She didn't make it. I thought there for a while that she would.

She is now floating in the alcohol vial with other dead queens for swarm lure.

I guess the upside is that her sister queen will be going into winter well stocked with resources.
    Zone 6B

Sorry for the loss of the queen.

This happened to me on the 21st. I was lucky enough to cage the queen and shut the hive down. I waited a 1/2 hr and put her back in with the hive shut down (robbing screen and 1/8 HW cloth over top entrance)

I checked on her today and all is well. I must have just happened on it as it started.

Glad that worked out well for you. I had been in that hive just the evening before and had marked that queen. (See here, it is the queen pictured being released from the one handed queen catcher.) I almost went ahead and caged her at that point, I even had the JZ-BZ cage ready, but decided at the last second to let her free roam until I had the five frame nuc ready as she was easy to find. If I had caged her she would have been safe during the attack.
    Zone 6B