Need a bee suit recommendation

Default Need a bee suit recommendation

I've decided I will start next year off with a new bee suit. The problem with mine is that it's just so dang hot, even if I'm wearing only a t shirt under the jacket on a 70 degree day. I'm in Seattle area and I see videos of all these people down south seemingly without issue. Any recommendations?

TIA
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Need a bee suit recommendation

I would spend the money and buy an Ultra Breeze suit. It is well worth it in the long run.
    Zone 4a

I bought one of the "Clearly Sustainable" ventilated jackets, the screen front was full of holes after a month, I had to patch it up, it's still hot, I just went to wearing only a veil, I've had to wear it a few times when pulling honey supers lately though.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

Ditto on UltraBreeze jacket. It vents so well that you feel cooler when you put it on. I like having a cuff that you can cinch down around your wrists. The sting that’s especially painful is when you lift up your arms to look at a frame and your cuff rides up and she gets you in the soft underside of your forearm. No sale. Not with this jacket. Very well made with beefy zippers.

I used to love the Golden Bee Products suits and they are still available I think. The main reason I went to the Ultra Breeze was because they had a jacket at the time and Golden Bee Products did not. Both are top quality. They both have jackets now. I use a jacket fifty times more than I use a full suit. I've still got and still use the orginal Ultra Breeze I got when they first came out. I do have a new veil on it because the zippers got too sticky and the veil accumulated a few holes over the years.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I've tried a couple of different bee suites, this Forest Beekeeping Fencing Hood suite is the one I've been using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I consider myself an expert in only a very few things in life, most revolve around eating and power napping skills. However, I live in South Alabama, which is just next door to Hell. We have been in upper 90's conditions since early June with heat indices above 110F more often than not. Next week, my forecast does not get below 95F all week. Add to that about 85% humidity. And it is freaking September.

So I am a bonafide expert in heat. I have an Ultra Breeze jacket and swear by them. When I wear this one out, I will be purchasing another.

Hi Mike, nothing like running an old bar of soap over zippers to let em open up like new. I also, put a dab of clear silicone over small hole in veil. Cheap fixes but work good on my no name brand 70.00 jacket hood . 2nd year of use. Rich

I had not thought about the clear silicone. I like that. I have used scotch tape inside and out, but it never lasts long. I use paraffin on the zippers but not often enough. They get very difficult when they get sweaty all the time, which they do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Great. Thanks for the tip all. I have a few more trips out to the bee yard before winter and I'll be dreaming of a new suit for Spring!
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O