Hive stands on concrete pavers?

Default Hive stands on concrete pavers?

I have access to some 1x1 concrete pavers. I am setting up my apiary in some softer ground. Is it ok to put the pavers down and put the hive stands on the pavers? Seems like it would help with weed control and controlling SHB reproduction.

Thank you,
    Steve in Central Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have used them in the past. They should work on soft ground and help distribute the weight. I’m not sure if they would help with beetles.
    Last edited by Nelsonhoneyfarms; 09-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: Hive stands on concrete pavers?

My hives are all on cinder blocks on concrete pavers. I don't have problems with SHB though.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I use pavers and they work fine for supporting and leveling the hive stand. I don't think they'll help with SHB unless you also put down a ground cover under the pavers. Probably even that won't be entirely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I use pavers and they work fine for supporting and leveling the hive stand. I don't think they'll help with SHB unless you also put down a ground cover under the pavers. Probably even that won't be entirely effective.
    I don't see why not. One of my hives is on a sloped part of my yard from which I dug out a tree stump. I filled the hole with dirt and then river rock, then covered with pavers on top of which I placed cinder blocks for the hive. It's working well and survived a Pacific Northwest winter.