Life of an egg in a cell
    ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

Default Life of an egg in a cell

When the queen lays an egg in a cell, how is the cell prepared for the acquisition of the tiny egg?

Will the worker bees slightly fill the cell with some food source before the queen lays?

The reason I'm asking is that I went back into the hive and found a couple more frames of larvae and eggs. These frames up top originally had brood in them and after hatch out I thought the bees were back filling because of the clear liquid in the cells. I pulled those frames several days later and found I had a frame and a half of eggs/larva in them. I also at the same time held back feed.

So I'm confused if I'm seeing back filling or cell/egg preparation in the brood frames.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Life of an egg in a cell

The house bees clean the cell and probably add a pheromone to identify the cell as being cleaned. The queen lays the egg, about 73 hours later it hatches and the nurse bees immediately add the first brood food.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

>When the queen lays an egg in a cell, how is the cell prepared for the acquisition of the tiny egg?

AR Beekeeper covered it pretty well. They clean it and they seem to mark it somehow. When the queen comes to a cell that isn't clean, she moves on. When she finds a clean marked cell, she lays in it.

>Will the worker bees slightly fill the cell with some food source before the queen lays?

Not at all. Not until it hatches 3 1/2 days after she laid it. Then they put some food in it. The larva at this point is so tiny as to be just an imperfection on the surface of the royal jelly. That's probably what you saw. But very quickly they get large enough to identify as larvae.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

The title made me think of this awesome video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqiaPoS2U
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

You might’ve seen some nectar that had not been consumed or moved into storage also.
    Rod

ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

Quote Originally Posted by rwlaw View Post
    You might’ve seen some nectar that had not been consumed or moved into storage also.
    That is an interesting statement that im looking into. I wondered if the bees brought the feed into the hive and placed it onto the stores frames first or placed it onto the brood frames for dissemination.