No harvesting? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No harvesting?

Default Re: No harvesting?

So I just thought about this. If I use shop towels, and say in a week it starts to get cold, will that stop them from moving up to the honey? Any one use shop towels in the winter?
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Just started using OA shop towels this year in a dry high desert climate. Guessing that freezing weather would mess with it because they are supposed to be chewed up and disposed of by the bees. Have heard that high humidity can affect efficacy.

Gotta say, I’d do a wash or roll and either confirm the mite count and throw Apivar on them before winter and get into OA towels next year or do OAV now. Mites are #1 in hive mortality. OA shop towels are great but timing is important as you suspect because it takes 6 weeks for the full effect. Mine were started late August which may have been late but our weather allowed it. I just want to see you over winter with success this year. Wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT View Post
    So I'm not new to bee keeping, nor are these my first hives. In my 3.5 years of beekeeping I've never had a hive survive winter. This year I have 3, 10 frame hives, 2 deeps on all and one nuc only one brood box. All boxes are deeps. The 3 10 framers are very strong. The nuc is ok, could be better, could be worse. This year we (my sister, bro-in-law and I) had decided to not harvest to give them the best chance of survival. All have been treated with apivar strips already. I am thinking of an OAV treatment before it gets too cold.
    Is this a good move? Bad move? Or really doesn't matter.
    I had to look, to see if I had written this! Pretty much, my story as well. I’ve lost some early fall, and had others make the entire winter.....only to lose them in early spring. I was “not” going to harvest this year....and hope for better results!

I fear that excessive humidity may be some of my issues. Even though Wyoming is generally very low humidity, we live down in the river bottom, and have high humidity. We are just below a irrigation diversion dam, and the river stays open all winter. It’s not uncommon to be well below (-15 to -20 F) zero, with morning humidity in the 90%+ range. memtb
    Last edited by Memtb; 09-22-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddjd412 View Post
    OA is also called wood bleach. Available at your local hardware store for about 10 dollars. You can combine that with a 1:1 sugar syrup and that's called an oxalic acid drip. YouTube videos or a quick internet search can give you the ratios/recipe. One oxalic acid tub will last you several years. Or, on Amazon you can get a vaporizer for around $30 or $40.
    Johno's easy vap .

So we did a sugar shake. About 17 mites on the nice hive. The others only had about 3 mites per hive. I put my last 3 strips in the high count hive. Whats my next move?

20190928_132426.jpg

First off- great move testing them. I looked at this article-https://pollinators.msu.edu/resources/beekeepers/varroa-mite-monitoring1/
    If your sample included 300 bees, your nice hive had an infestation rate of over 5%. 17 divided by 3. I would buy extra strips and get them on the rest of your colonies. Mite loads can transfer within a yard. Next year you can always broaden your treatment.

Jennifer Berry did a talk at the fall conference in Georgia and was talking about OA and shop towels. In a study she worked on, they found a difference between results on the West Coast where it worked well versus the East Coast where they were ineffective. JB said the biggest factor appears to be the humidity. In the west, the humidity is much less so the towels dried enough for the bees to chew them to remove from the hive. In the east, the bees were not chewing the towels presumably because the towels stayed moist making the bees stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Jennifer Berry did a talk at the fall conference in Georgia and was talking about OA and shop towels. In a study she worked on, they found a difference between results on the West Coast where it worked well versus the East Coast where they were ineffective.
    I was considering trying out the oxalic acid shop towels but not now because I have consistently heard it didn't work on the east coast. Even with a ProVap, I'm REALLY tired of my OAV only approach. It's too labor intensive to be practical if you have more than a few hives not as effective for me this year for whatever reason. Thinking of going w/ApiGuard next year and OAV only in the broodless period in late fall / winter.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    I was considering trying out the oxalic acid shop towels but have consistently heard it didn't work on the east coast. I'm REALLY tired of OAV only. It's too labor intensive to be practical if you have more than a few hives not as effective for me this year for whatever reason. Thinking of going w/ApiGuard next year and OAV only in the broodless period in late fall / winter.
    Do you have a band heater type vaporizer, or a wand?

I was considering trying out the oxalic acid shop towels but not now because I have consistently heard it didn't work on the east coast. I'm REALLY tired of my OAV only approach. It's too labor intensive to be practical if you have more than a few hives not as effective for me this year for whatever reason. Thinking of going w/ApiGuard next year and OAV only in the broodless period in late fall / winter.
    That is what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Do you have a band heater type vaporizer, or a wand?
    ProVap (band heater). Faster than the wand style but still fairly slow.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    That is what I did.
    How long have you been doing that? I'd love to hear any lessons learned or any other wisdom you'd have to share. Thanks in advance!

ProVap (band heater). Faster than the wand style but still fairly slow.

How long have you been doing that? I'd love to hear any lessons learned or any other wisdom you'd have to share. Thanks in advance!
    How long does the Provap take?

Johnos Easy vap is 30 seconds / hive.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    How long does the Provap take?

Johnos Easy vap is 30 seconds / hive.
    For mine, it's about two minutes from the start of vaporizing until it's back up to operating temperature. Easy vap sounds faster.

For mine, it's about two minutes from the start of vaporizing until it's back up to operating temperature. Easy vap sounds faster.
    Johno's Easy Vap, or the far more expensive, but similar model: Provap 110

I like the fact that I can just run an extension cord right out of my house and use the Easy Vap.

This is the third season since i changed from OAV exclusively. Now I use ApiLife Var in the first week of August after supers are pulled and OAV mid-December. I have gone from 60% losses in my second year to around 20% now. My only suggestion is to not wait until September or October to treat. That is too late. Treat early August or late July with an effective product. OAV is not effective in the summer. Yes, performing OAV every 5 days will get most mites before entering the cell but I have around 40 hives and that is just too much time even with 2 wands.

Thanks ericweller!

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    OAV applications reportedly are dirt cheap per few BS members.
    I don't know how true and what are the actual details.
    Up to you to find out.
    Johnos Easy vap is $165 or so, bag of OA is $10.

Takes 30 seconds per hive.

I did a thread about the cost comparisons between treatments, but one of the heat band vaporizers becomes literally the cost of the bag of OA eventually.

Only the OA dribble method is cheaper, just because the only cost is a syringe and a bag of OA.

That thread can be found: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...parison-Thread

As an epilogue- Bought a Varrox wand and started my first series of OAV on 9/30. Had noticed that one of my hives had a climbing mite count from watching the sticky board very carefully. So even though I've been using OA shop towels since the end of August I still had one hive standout. After one OAV on that hive after 24 hours I had 300 mites. A big number. The good news is this colony is exceptionally strong and I'm not seeing signs of virus yet. But this surprised me since I had been using another treatment for more than a month. I'll continue a series of OAV until I see a massive drop. I decided to come back and post again to urge you to buy a wand. It likely saved my colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by LAlldredge View Post
    As an epilogue- Bought a Varrox wand and started my first series of OAV on 9/30. Had noticed that one of my hives had a climbing mite count from watching the sticky board very carefully. So even though I've been using OA shop towels since the end of August I still had one hive standout. After one OAV on that hive after 24 hours I had 300 mites. A big number. The good news is this colony is exceptionally strong and I'm not seeing signs of virus yet. But this surprised me since I had been using another treatment for more than a month. I'll continue a series of OAV until I see a massive drop. I decided to come back and post again to urge you to buy a wand. It likely saved my colonies.
    Using OAV, My total cost per hive for the year will be around $1.

So we got a vaporizer from a guy we know that makes them locally. $40 not bad, he gave us some acid and he fixes them for no charge if it malfunctions. We treated just as sun went down tonight. One question I have is that is it bad to treat with OA and have apivar strips in? In our haste to treat we didn't pull the strips on the one hive I had them in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast