Interrupt treatment to inspect?

Default Interrupt treatment to inspect?

Iím currently treating with Formic Pro. Tomorrow will be the 10 day split where Iím supposed to put on the 2nd strip. 1st treatment really seemed to affect the bees but it did kill a ton of mites and theyíre still dropping, though not as much. Instructions say to not inspect but it does seem thereís a lot less bees than when I started. I did see the queen just before treatment and brood patterns in both boxes (deep and medium) were good. I feel I should have a good look to get an idea how theyíre doing and maybe even take a day or two before putting the next strip on. Iím also wondering if I should trim an inch or two off the strip as I run 8 frame boxes and the strips seem to be meant for 10 frame hives. Plus Iím going to need to feed soon and feel like itís getting too late in the season to get it done. Just thinking out loud...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Interrupt treatment to inspect?

I've never used it, but fixing to. instructions say they may abscond or kill the Queen

http://nodglobal.com/frequently-aske...ns-formic-pro/
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    I've never used it, but fixing to. instructions say they may abscond or kill the Queen

http://nodglobal.com/frequently-aske...ns-formic-pro/
    Only if the temperatures are too warm when you apply. Definitely not a concern for me here now.

I was meaning this:
    The label says to avoid disturbing the colony at time of application. Can I do a full colony exam and then treat immediately, or should I wait and come back to treat?

The bees need to have their affairs in order at treatment time. When running trials, we discovered that the colony assessments were best done 3 days in advance of the application. If the colonies were taken apart, assessed, reassembled and then treated, we noted some absconding and an increased risk in queen loss. After an exam, it is best to wait at least 24 hours before applying Formic Pro.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Yeah thanks, I did read this and followed the instructions before treating. I fully inspected then treated 3 days after to make sure they would not be disturbed that much. It's gone fairly well I think. I'm at the 10 day mark so I'm going to have to go in to put the 2nd strip in anyways so i may do a full inspection then wait another couple of days, then treat. The directions allow for that (in the case of bad weather, but I can't see it mattering in this case).

Well Monday was day 10 so I did a good inspection and turns out there's still a full hive of bees, thankfully Most of the drones are gone and only a bit of brood capped in the upper medium brood box. Not much at all in the lower, mostly empty cells though some frames have nectar and pollen and there were some cells with open larvae so the queen's still there, though I didn't see her this time. The deep honey super is 1/3-1/2 full but it looks like they're using it so when the 2nd 10 day treatment (started last night after giving them the recommended 24hr window after inspection as per the instructions) I'm going to feed heavily with 2:1 inside AND sugar cakes on top. Still a decent amount of mite drop but less than initial although this morning, the first morning after a fresh Formic Pro strip there's more dead bees out front. This stuff is definitely hard on them. There was also one large drone with a definite K wing thing going on, though I haven't seen other bees with it. I'll keep monitoring.