Minor flow in the Atlanta area?

Question Minor flow in the Atlanta area?

Hi, all,

I've noticed a pickup in the activity of my hives over the past couple of weeks and the goldenrod are starting to bloom. Anyone else seeing a "minor" fall flow?

Thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Minor flow in the Atlanta area?

Goldenrod is smelling strong but I see very little blooming.Shortly when it starts blooming good we should get a bumper crop this year.

In this heat, I'd guess that they are water foragers.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Hi, Dan,

would it be correct for me to infer you're not seeing any kind of fall flow minor otherwise?

While I do agree that there would be more water foragers with the current temperature, there is not a direct correlation between my observations of hive activity and temperature on a given day for the time period of the past few weeks. I had also noticed a mild bump in orienting bees.

Thanks for your reply,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    In this heat, I'd guess that they are water foragers.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hi, Dan,

would it be correct for me to infer you're not seeing any kind of fall flow minor otherwise?
    I’m not sure how one would define a ‘minor’ nectar flow.
    I am inspecting all of my hives currently in preparation for winter. I have never been able to confidently gauge their condition by watching the traffic at the entrance. In my inspections so far, I am not seeing any indication that they are consuming their stores, at the same time I am not seeing any expansion of their stores. Enough nectar coming in at the moment to maintain a status quo. I would qualify this as a dribble, not a flow. As good as it gets here in September.
    I wouldn’t depend on the dribble to give them any additional winter stores.
    NOW is the time to feed if needed….in my opinion.
    PS My nectar availability indicator is my hummingbird feeder. It is currently mobbed by hummers.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

This is a very good point.

I hadn't thought about that with the hummingbirds. our feeder is currently empty but the hummingbirds are still coming by hoping for a sip.

NOW is the time to feed if needed….in my opinion.
    PS My nectar availability indicator is my hummingbird feeder. It is currently mobbed by hummers.

our feeder is currently empty but the hummingbirds are still coming by hoping for a sip.
    This seems pretty mean spirited. Those people are trying to migrate south. Pickin's are slim. Many on the cusp of starvation. All of them near the limits of exhaustion. And you're luring them from their southbound travels with an empty feeder? I am being semi serious here.
    Any time I will be away for longer than a day this time of year, I take the feeder down so that they don't interrupt their travels needlessly.
    Just sayin'.

Hi, Dan,

this is a good point, too. I didn't think about it much. Would appreciate any thoughts you have about when to have a hummingbird feeder up or not.

regards,
    Thomas
    This seems pretty mean spirited. Those people are trying to migrate south. Pickin's are slim. Many on the cusp of starvation. All of them near the limits of exhaustion. And you're luring them from their southbound travels with an empty feeder? I am being semi serious here.
    Any time I will be away for longer than a day this time of year, I take the feeder down so that they don't interrupt their travels needlessly.
    Just sayin'.

Would appreciate any thoughts you have about when to have a hummingbird feeder up or not.
    Mine usually goes up late July. It comes down in October.

Every year….typically in late July I see a hummer circling where it was hung the previous year. The migrating birds remember where they found a dependable source on last year’s southerly migration. That circling hummer is usually my reminder to start feeding each year.

If you are unable to keep it filled somewhat regularly, I would suggest not putting it out at all. There isn’t any guilt in not feeding. On the other hand, in my opinion, an empty feeder creates an obstacle to their successful trip south.