Bee keeping supply score!

Big Grin Bee keeping supply score!

So, I don't normally make these kind of post, but I'm excited about the equipment I just got. A friend gave my wife a call and said his father had a heart attack this past spring (thankfully he survived), but is slowing down. He just got into bee keeping last year, and just can't keep up now. So, we were offered all the equipment. I didn't know what all to expect when I showed up, but I was shocked when they brought out a pallet on the fork lift with:

4 new deeps with 40 new frames
    1 used deep
    4 supers
    7 inner covers (6 new)
    6 screened bottom boards (4 are new)
    1 used solid bottom board
    2 lids
    35 used deep Frames
    10 used super frames.
    1 jacket
    1 smoker
    1 gal smoker pellets

When I picked it up yesterday from the farm, I was advised there were 3 full hives "out there somewhere" on their farm that we were welcome too. This is a several thousand acre farm 1hr away from my farm. I advised them, I would take those too when they were located after the harvest. I offered to pay for the equipment, seeing that the majority of it had never seen the field. They wouldn't accept anything. So, I always keep a few arrowheads I knapped in the truck for when I make deals, or ask for permission to access property. They were thrilled! I lost 1 hive this year, and I'm down to 1 left going into the fall. I hope I can get them to survive the winter and make some honey next year. When they do, they will for sure get a few jars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee keeping supply score!

Quote Originally Posted by pintaildrake2004 View Post
    When I picked it up yesterday from the farm, I was advised there were 3 full hives "out there somewhere" on their farm that we were welcome too. .
    Any interest in trying bee tracking?

Sounds like a very nice gift. I would definitely send a lot of honey their way for many years

I've not heard of "bee tracking" what is that?

That's a massive score. Well done. That alone is worth hundreds of dollars. If I were in your physical shoes I would try and get my hands on those hives asap. If they are healthy they may have swarmed and/or need mite treatments. I would slap Apivar strips on them asap and knock those mites down if a wash shows evidence of a mite problem or do a series of OAV if you don't want the Apivar route.

LAlldredge: The guy I dealt with didn't know where the other hives were at, other than knowing his dad mentioned 3 more on the farm. His Father doesn't stay at the farm anymore (I didn't ask where he was), so I'm not sure how long it will take to find them. This farm is just under 5500 acres, so I got on Google Earth hoping for an updated photo of the area, thinking maybe I could locate them that way. Soybeans are still a month out from being ready and some early corn will be ready in about 4-6 weeks. I'm going to keep a bug in their ear, trying to get a location of the other hives which I assume will be located during the upcoming harvest.

Try searching on "beelining" to find colonies.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

That's a fun one. Here is a video from Tom Seeley on how to do it.
    http://www.cornell.edu/video/bee-lin...-wild-beehives

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    Any interest in trying bee tracking?

Sounds like a very nice gift. I would definitely send a lot of honey their way for many years
    +1 on finding the 3 hives. Call or stop over, Thank them again and ask if the owner or any of the family know where the 3 full hives are.
    be nice to:
    access for winter
    medicate if that is your normal OP
    feed if needed.
    Ascertain how to move them out.
    Ask if you can just leave the bees there as they are already used to the area and you just manage them.
    maybe pull some honey.

IMO the 3 full hives are worth the more than the gear on the pallet, I would deep dive that a bit more. If you can use his Gator or ATV, likely follow the trails and you would find them.

Quote Originally Posted by pintaildrake2004 View Post
    LAlldredge: The guy I dealt with didn't know where the other hives were at, other than knowing his dad mentioned 3 more on the farm. His Father doesn't stay at the farm anymore (I didn't ask where he was), so I'm not sure how long it will take to find them. This farm is just under 5500 acres, so I got on Google Earth hoping for an updated photo of the area, thinking maybe I could locate them that way. Soybeans are still a month out from being ready and some early corn will be ready in about 4-6 weeks. I'm going to keep a bug in their ear, trying to get a location of the other hives which I assume will be located during the upcoming harvest.
    good plan ask the tractor driver. If nothing else, take a mountain bike out and ride around a bit. The guy likely drives to the hives so travel all the roads on the place, bet you find them in 2 hours.
    GG