#8 Duck Cloth Inner Cover - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: #8 Duck Cloth Inner Cover

Thanks, Russ.

I plan to do an inspection today on the colonies I transferred last week from nucs into ten frame equipment.

I want to see if they are closing the ventilation hole in the front and to see how they react to being opened.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Have you noticed any effect on hive beetles? I've been wanting to try this to hopefully cut down on hive beetles, but I've just started removing the inner cover altogether.

The bees will corral the beetles on the top bars under the canvas. If you are using a telescoping cover, fritter87, using nothing for an inner cover is asking for trouble. The bees will use propolis and burr comb to glue down the telescoping cover.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Canvas works well. Old plastic burlap feed sacks work better. They get gluded down less.

I can attest to this. I have used this for two years with migratory covers and find it helps the bees to control SHB numbers.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

We purchased our canvas from Marsidian.com, best price we could find great service. We ended up with extra that we are going to sell.
    ZONE 5A WVwildernessapiaries.com

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    I want to see if they are closing the ventilation hole in the front and to see how they react to being opened.

Alex
    I've had good success with upper entrances in my locale with a limited sample size- but I'm a bit North of you.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Varian View Post
    We purchased our canvas from Marsidian.com, best price we could find great service. We ended up with extra that we are going to sell.
    Which canvas did you use? If you want, pm me with a price and how much you have for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by fritter87 View Post
    Have you noticed any effect on hive beetles? I've been wanting to try this to hopefully cut down on hive beetles, but I've just started removing the inner cover altogether.
    As AR Beekeeper noted below, there is room for the SHB to be corralled on top of the frames, but the bees don't get up there with them. After reading this comment from AR it dawned on me that I might be able to kill them before peeling back the canvas. I used the curved end of my hive tool to press down on the canvas and slide from one end of the frame to the other. After peeling back the canvas, instead of seeing SHB scurrying for cover, I now find dead and damaged ones. The bees instantly grab the damaged ones, I suppose, for removal.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    I've had good success with upper entrances in my locale with a limited sample size- but I'm a bit North of you.
    This colony, in particular, took to the upper entrance quickly.022.jpg

I went into each of these hives a couple of days ago without smoke. They were not as quick to react to the slow removal of the canvas cover as they are with a wooden one, but they do react about the same as the inspection becomes more intrusive. For a quick peek inside and the ability to kill a few beetles I would say canvas is a definite plus. Still too soon to make any conclusions, though. I'll use a little smoke next time.

Alex

Edit; I intended to post this pic of the way I set up the ventilation this year. I think it was definitely beneficial for the bees, although it was inconvenient for me having the upper entrance in the rear, which gave rise to a search for a better way. I believe the extra ventilation aided the bees in drying the nectar.
    002.jpg
    Last edited by AHudd; 09-22-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fritter87 View Post
    These hives are not in full sun. They have more beetles than the others. I have to agree with the people who say full sun is a deterrent to beetles. I'll be moving these into full sun as soon as the flying days become fewer.

Maybe I'll be able to tell more about this later.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    These hives are not in full sun. They have more beetles than the others. I have to agree with the people who say full sun is a deterrent to beetles. I'll be moving these into full sun as soon as the flying days become fewer.

Maybe I'll be able to tell more about this later.

Alex
    I wish I could have full sun where I keep my bees! I keep my 8 hives in my back yard in town which is almost 100% shaded at all times. We want to take down 2 gum trees to let some light in but haven't been able to get around to it. I've never lost a hive to beetles, but it just seems like I have more than I should. I'm going to try this canvas on a few hives to check it out.

I do like smashing them between the canvas and the tops of the frames before peeling it back.

When you do try it, we would like to hear your opinion.

Alex

If you use 4 or 6 mil clear plastic sheeting you can see the groups of beetles before they start to run. I use both plastic and canvas for inner covers on my nucs, much cheaper than wood. Give yourself a 1/2 inch overlap on each side of the box. Wind can be a problem when putting on the outer cover, but a piece of duck tape or a thumb tack works to solve that problem.

I like the idea of the clear plastic, like shooting fish in a barrel. I am concerned about any possible condensation issues. In the past I have had condensate form between the inner cover and the telescoping cover, so much so that mold has formed. That is one of the reasons I started looking for a better way. Shimming the inner cover and propping up the telescoping cover solved that issue, but is not practical for the Winter or long term because the wind can blow them off easily. We are currently 60% and it was 85% this morning here in the Ouchitas. I've got a couple of pieces of clear plastic to give it a try.

Thanks,
    Alex

The only places on the inner cover that I see condensation are in the corners of the cover, but I also have a piece of 1 inch foam insulation board above the inner cover. The warm air condenses on the walls of the box, then runs down and out of the entrance, if a solid bottom board is in use.

I checked the weather this morning at 8:00 AM, we were 95%, we are currently at 96%.

I wish we had chosen the Ozarks, simply because of the weather.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12