A new honey color

Default A new honey color

I'm near Seattle and my honey has always been a light color, as it was earlier in the summer. I figure it's probably a combination of blackberry and wildflower.

I just harvested again with frames from late August and for the first time it's really dark. I'm puzzled as to what that could be.

light-dark honey.jpg
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A new honey color

We don't have any Buckwheat (makes a very dark honey) growing in my area, but the last two years we've suddenly gotten very dark honey in late August.
    It's from a local explosion of Japanese Knotweed (some call it Red Bamboo). It's considered an invasive plant and it makes a very dark and more robust flavor honey.
    It's the most popular honey with my customers. It blooms at the end of summer, about the same time as Goldenrod.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Is this the first year you have separated your Spring harvest from the fall? Honeydew makes a very dark honey, otherwise it must be something different blooming. The honey color here changes through the Spring with a definite lightening trend as the years go by. The Fall honey is always very 011 (640x506).jpgdark.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

We haven't done a late August spin before. I know we have knotweed here so I"m thinking that must be it.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O