Extra White Honey This Year

Default Extra White Honey This Year

It is very close to water white and very mild. Personally my wife and I prefer amber honeys. I sell a great deal of what we produce and I'm working on the pitch. I've read that many prefer the lighter and milder honeys. I'd like to hear other's experiences with this type of honey, sales and crystalization.. We had a big clover bloom this year, white sweet and yellow sweet, I guess the bees really latched on to it.

6e50c9b49aa52cb9c8381a7a9265ef07.jpg
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Extra White Honey This Year

You get what you get. I robbed for personal use and the honey was med colored but 5 weeks later when I robbed it was a lot darker and better tasting for me. I live north of Houston and get a lot of area natural products but I also live next to several subdivisions so I get a lot longer flowering period and you never know what the bees are working. I guess the good news is they are working. My buddy down in Sugarland seemed to have a poor short termed season this year.

I was in Bali one year and they had 6 different types of honey at the resort from the area plantations. The taste was vastly different and color went from lite to almost black depending on the flowers.

As long as it was all capped then I would sell it as pure clover honey Extra special this year or such.

I like to think that the lighter colored (clover, privet, holly, Chinese Tallow etc. around here) honey sells faster than the darker honey from my honor stand, but every fall I'm proven wrong. The dark honey flies off the shelf, just depends on the customer. Some even prefer it.

The crystallization of the major sugars will vary from one light honey to the next, so your lighter honey might or might not crystallize quickly. Some customers like crystallized honey as well.

I'm not a pro or a commercial beekeeper, but I don't see much of a difference in sales based on crystallization rate or color. Every customer is different. I do try to make certain they know what they are buying up front though. I'll put signs out describing the different flavors the best I can so they are not surprised.

Ryan
    Last edited by Nelsonhoneyfarms; 09-12-2019 at 02:46 PM.

oh and I almost forgot - thanks for that handy color chart. I hadn't seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    oh and I almost forgot - thanks for that handy color chart. I hadn't seen that before.
    You're welcome, that's the Pfund grading scale, it's the standard for honey.

Jim, thanks, there is no accounting for taste. I'll just market it as primarily clover honey, light and mild.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Grins, what does Honey sell for in Montana?
    Just curious. I have some that is light and Minty this year. Every year is a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Grins, what does Honey sell for in Montana?
    Just curious. I have some that is light and Minty this year. Every year is a bit different.
    Raw honey, last year I got six bucks a pound plus a buck for the container..

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    I like to think that the lighter colored (clover, privet, holly, Chinese Tallow etc. around here) honey sells faster than the darker honey from my honor stand, but every fall I'm proven wrong. The dark honey flies off the shelf, just depends on the customer. Some even prefer it.

The crystallization of the major sugars will vary from one light honey to the next, so your lighter honey might or might not crystallize quickly. Some customers like crystallized honey as well.

I'm not a pro or a commercial beekeeper, but I don't see much of a difference in sales based on crystallization rate or color. Every customer is different. I do try to make certain they know what they are buying up front though. I'll put signs out describing the different flavors the best I can so they are not surprised.

Ryan
    If Chinese Tallow honey is light, what is dark,???? LOL
    Fwiw, southern and tropical honeys tend to be darker than northern honeys although there are obviously some exceptions particularly from cultivated crops such as buckwheat.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post

If Chinese Tallow honey is light, what is dark,???? LOL
    Fwiw, southern and tropical honeys tend to be darker than northern honeys although there are obviously some exceptions particularly from cultivated crops such as buckwheat.
    I guess my color perspective is limited. I have always considered it lighter because it about as light as I get around here. It’s about the same color as the early spring honey I harvest in April. The wildflower honey in July is darker and the goldenrod is much darker.

Ryan

I get alottttt of tallow and straight tallow is fairly light. Probably people that don’t produce it or produce much of it think otherwise.