Lots of bees but no honey or pollen?
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Quebec, canada
    Posts
    26

    Default Lots of bees but no honey or pollen?

    Hi All,
    I have six hives divided 3/3 in two locals on my farm. Three are gang busters full of honey brood and pollen but on the other side of my property 2km away, the other three are loaded with bees but two are practically empty of pollen and honey. The third has a full deep of honey (these were all nucs started mid summer). At first I suspected robbing but there’s no wax caps anywhere and I haven’t seen any fighting. They all have queens, just no honey or pollen... is it possible that with so many bees they ate all their stores during the last dearth?? Any ideas? Also can I feed up (3:1) these two hives in time for winter (zone 4)? Or do I combined but honestly there three clusters are all huge... so how wld that work? Lots of questions, thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    610

    Default Re: Lots of bees but no honey or pollen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Windpath View Post
    Hi All,
    I have six hives divided 3/3 in two locals on my farm. Three are gang busters full of honey brood and pollen but on the other side of my property 2km away, the other three are loaded with bees but two are practically empty of pollen and honey. The third has a full deep of honey (these were all nucs started mid summer). At first I suspected robbing but there’s no wax caps anywhere and I haven’t seen any fighting. They all have queens, just no honey or pollen... is it possible that with so many bees they ate all their stores during the last dearth?? Any ideas? Also can I feed up (3:1) these two hives in time for winter (zone 4)? Or do I combined but honestly there three clusters are all huge... so how wld that work? Lots of questions, thanks!
    Windpath, feed this fall to get the weight up. Consider requeening next year. My Opinion of course. I am thinking your other hives did carry some honey so it could be the queen/genetics. Unless these 2 swarmed, then that is somewhat what happens when 1/2 the bees fly away at the wrong time.
    GG

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Quebec, canada
    Posts
    26

    Smile Re: Lots of bees but no honey or pollen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Windpath, feed this fall to get the weight up. Consider requeening next year. My Opinion of course. I am thinking your other hives did carry some honey so it could be the queen/genetics. Unless these 2 swarmed, then that is somewhat what happens when 1/2 the bees fly away at the wrong time.
    GG
    I know they didn't swarm, since all the queens are marked. Must be the something to do with the genetics or could be the location on my back deck that gets less sun (late day starts).. or they were just robbed out of uncapped nectar.. who knows... all fed up now and/or supplemented with extra honey from other hives. Thanks for the input!!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    610

    Default Re: Lots of bees but no honey or pollen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Windpath View Post
    I know they didn't swarm, since all the queens are marked. Must be the something to do with the genetics or could be the location on my back deck that gets less sun (late day starts).. or they were just robbed out of uncapped nectar.. who knows... all fed up now and/or supplemented with extra honey from other hives. Thanks for the input!!
    Great news thanks for the update Windpath, I had 2 hives this year that when checking for winter stores, were full of brood and no honey. Odd behavior, hopefully a 1 off. I will likely re queen them next year during the NUC building time frame.
    GG

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •