wax foundation falling apart in the extractor

Default wax foundation falling apart in the extractor

I have a cheap 2 frame extractor, spinning out the sugar syrup, and it's tearing up the wax foundation, what's the trick to it? here's a video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpVK...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ifixoldhouses; 09-11-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: wax foundation falling apart in the extractor

I'm assuming the extractor is tangential, i.e. frame sits in the basket with one side facing the tub of the extractor and the other toward the center axis? Are you going slow before switching sides; then starting slow again before picking up any speed and switching again?
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

That would be a tangential extractor. The frames need three goes to do the job. First spin very gentle and expect to only extract about half of the outside wall of honey. (Too much spin will cause the weight of the honey on the inner surface to burst through.) Now flip the frame around and you can spin all of that side out but dont get too gung ho on the speed. Now for the finish 3rd part of the operation, flip frames again so the first side that was only partially extracted is now to the outside again and spin it dry.

The frames shown look like first timers so you have to be a bit more gentle than you will after they toughen up a bit. I dont think the honey was crystallized but if that was the case (canola honey?) it could be a problem. Not likely though. Very cold frames also cause blowouts but in NC not likely either!
    Frank

it's just sugar syrup, new frames, 2 frame basket, I have 40 more to do, I'll try that method tomorrow, thanks

New comb, maybe too warm (?), and almost for sure too fast. As mentioned go slow and rotate the frame in the extractor until you get most of the weight off (honey / syrup out of the comb). PS, why extracting syrup.....just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by orthoman View Post
    New comb, maybe too warm (?), and almost for sure too fast. As mentioned go slow and rotate the frame in the extractor until you get most of the weight off (honey / syrup out of the comb). PS, why extracting syrup.....just curious?
    Watch this video explains it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjhaye0ziSg
    I fed strong for 3 months to get drawn comb.
    I figured out how to extract them pretty much, still damaged a few, I'm buying plastic from now on.

Yes, it takes skill to extract new drawn comb, but what do you do in a few years with the plastic foundation when it is contaminated with pesticides?

Crazy Roland

Could try putting in the horizontal wire bracing to see it that will help protect the foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Could try putting in the horizontal wire bracing to see it that will help protect the foundation.
    Or use the plastic rods and slow down. J

Vertical wire foundation also requires horizontal wires and slow fist time spinning.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.