Small hive beetle attracted to unused equipment?

Default Small hive beetle attracted to unused equipment?

Until very recently SHB really hasn't been a problem in the Bay Area. You would see a beetle here or there, but nothing you could call an infestation. This year is different and some folks a few towns over lost a few to beetle infestation.

I recently began helping two neighbors who are what you might call "bee havers". Both of their colonies have alarmingly large beetle populations. One of them has several unoccupied hives with frames in his yard. Could these unoccupied boxes be contributing to the growing number of beetles I my neighborhood? Should I tell him to put it all away? Or does that not really matter if it is an unoccupied hive?

Thanks

The

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Small hive beetle attracted to unused equipment?

I have found adult SHB in comb that had been frozen for a few weeks and then set outside to warm up, on a stand, in a medium box with cover and no bottom.
    The frames had a good bit of pollen in them.
    I don't know if they were laying eggs or not so I refroze them before reuse.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Default Re: Small hive beetle attracted to unused equipment?

Here are the California Dept of Ag rules on hive sanitation. Exposed dead hives with pests are illegal:

Article 12. Sanitation (29170-29181) (7692)(1-click HTML)

29170. No person shall maintain or operate a diseased colony of bees, except pursuant to Section 29074. (7693)
    29171. No person shall conceal or attempt to conceal the fact that disease exists within an apiary. (7694)
    29172. No person shall sell any diseased bees, comb, hive, appliance, or colony. (7695)
    29173. No person shall abandon any diseased apiary. (7696)
    29174. No person shall expose to bees any comb or honey from a diseased colony of bees, except pursuant to Section 29074. (7697)
    29175. No person shall extract or render any honey, pollen, or wax from comb except in a building or enclosure which is so constructed as to prevent access by bees. (7698)
    29176. No person shall possess any comb which is not occupied by a live bee colony unless the comb is tightly enclosed to prevent access to the comb by bees. (7699)
    29177. Any hive or appliance which contains any comb that is not occupied by a live bee colony and that is accessible to bees constitutes a public nuisance. The hive or appliance shall be subject to abatement in the same manner as is provided in Article 14 (commencing with Section 29200) of this chapter for abatement of disease. (7700)
    29178. No person shall make honey available to bees by means of open air feeding. (7701)
    29179. All beekeepers shall provide movable frames in the brood area of all hives which they use to contain bees, and shall make provisions so the bees in the hives shall construct combs in the frames in such a way that the combs may be removed from the hives for inspection without damaging other combs in the hives. (7702)
    29180. The inspector shall order the owner or person in charge of any bees which are kept in a box or other unmovable or stationary comb hive to transfer the bees to a movable frame hive within a reasonable time, to be specified in the order. In default of transfer by the owner or person in charge of the bees, the inspector may destroy in a summary manner the hive and its contents. (7703)
    29181. No person shall place, in any combless package of bees or queen bees offered for sale or shipment, any food which contains honey. (7704)
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

". No person shall possess any comb which is not occupied by a live bee colony unless the comb is tightly enclosed to prevent access to the comb by bees. (7699)"

That is super helpful, thanks!