Moisture content

Default Moisture content

This has been not only a bad year for production but also for higher moisture. I have used a dehumidifier on serval open buckets and after stiring it tests at 18.6. After placing it in the Maxant bottling tank it tests between 18.6 and 19 in the open jars. How can there be such a flucutation? I usually look for below 18.6 and am hoping the heat in the tank can reduce moisture by about 0.6. Has anyone had any luck with the heat reducing some moisture? Or should I dump it back into a bucket and use the dehumidifier again? Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moisture content

Rate of drying depends on ratio of surface area to volume.Stirring can mix dryer layers but what a pain!
    If you live in a humid environment,an open container of honey will gain moisture.
    It is best to check moisture content before extraction when it is easier to dry( lower ratio).
    You could try putting honey in shallow pans.
    Good luck.

I have several 5 gallon buckets sitting in a small room with dehundifier running. I mix periodically. It is a pain and I have surgery scheduled next week so I may have to simpoly close then for a couple of weeks until I recover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Rate of drying depends on ratio of surface area to volume.Stirring can mix dryer layers but what a pain!
    If you live in a humid environment,an open container of honey will gain moisture.
    It is best to check moisture content before extraction when it is easier to dry( lower ratio).
    You could try putting honey in shallow pans.
    Good luck.

We stack our supers so you get air from the bottom down through the top. We warm our extracting room to about 75- 80F and place a a cheap $14 window fan on top of the stack on medium speed. Warm air will hold more moisure for your de-humidfier to collect faster and the air circulating over the frames downward will increase moisture collection. During extracting We have around 150 supers at a time in our honey house , 10 high stacks and we can usually knock it down within 1- 2 days this way. Jogging the supers helps as well. I posted a video on Astro’s lyson review which I think has it in the background.