High mite load opinions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: High mite load opinions

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Just an update to my high mite count hive. After several OAV treatments in which the drops remained in the high hundreds, the drop from last weeks treatment was about 50 mites
    Really happy to see an update. One of my hives going through what I thought was the final 4th OAV in my series just dropped a new wave of mites. Not a huge amount but not on trend. So even though I broke the back of the internal mite cycle in declining counts I'm seeing some external pressure.

This is one of those areas where I don't think we can evaluate desirability of a colony or queen strictly by resistance to mite load. These hives are not closed systems but rather dynamic and changeful. It may make us all a little crazy to believe a job is done when it's not. A course of action cannot be approached in a linear way when so many outside variables exist. That's what makes beekeeping an intuitive art as well as science.

Really happy to see you not give up on this colony.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have 4 colonies on which I did my 12th treatment on (all since August). I have another thread going about that. Anyway, it seems to be getting under control now. All to say, it looks like you just gotta hit em repeatedly until they can't hit back.

JwPalmer: I have one mutt queened hive out of nine in the apiary which has had extraordinary phoretic mite loads for two months during nine OAV treatments. I am keeping the hive and queen to see if my prediction that this hive will not survive winter versus other colonies. I had given thought to exterminating the colony but decided to try and learn from the performance. It is very hard to identify in-colony grown varroa from horizontal migration and robbing. I think she was a big robber. If she lives I will sample drones and brood next year and watch for Varroa growth. This colonys' last DDC was below 50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12