Late season swarm

Default Late season swarm

This was a late season swarm that moved into the barn the first week or so of August. They had no interest in moving on even with a swarm box and lure / comb. As expected they drew comb fast. I vac'd and moved them yesterday. It was about 8 pound of bees after I was done. Thought you'd appreciate how quickly they can draw comb. A LOT of honey.....fall flow....mostly goldenrod. The pic of Nathan (my grandson) with me was on the second day the swarm had settled in.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Late season swarm

Nice photos.
    Looks like you got a helper coming along. Got a kick out of the smoker sitting there, never thought of them as a swarm lure.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Wow, just...wow.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

So much for the late swarms being little.
    This is a counter-little swarm.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

jw
    Wow, just...wow.
    You beat me to what I wanted to type when I saw the pictures. I mean, WOW!
    gww
    zone 5b

HOLY ....Moley

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Nice photos.
    Looks like you got a helper coming along. Got a kick out of the smoker sitting there, never thought of them as a swarm lure.
    Actually, the "ceiling" that they're hanging from is the floor of the second story and directly above them are 15-20 supers that are being stored, some with comb so they certainly found the right spot. I keep the big barn door open pretty much all summer and they took advantage of it. Better than getting inside the walls!

Nate was pretty brave.

How fortunate to have such a swarm to hive...... but not nearly as fortunate as having a Grandpa who has made this and will continue to make many wonderful memories to be talked about for generations to come. The lack of fear in his eyes says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    How fortunate to have such a swarm to hive...... but not nearly as fortunate as having a Grandpa who has made this and will continue to make many wonderful memories to be talked about for generations to come. The lack of fear in his eyes says it all!
    You must imagine how grateful I am to see this post. I hope, someday, that Nathan changes the world the way he changed me.

Thank you so much.

This is a National Geographic sized swarm! Glad you have someone to share your bees with 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    GREAT post- I really enjoyed reading the entire thread. At the end of the day it seems to me that all that really matters is the legacy we leave behind.

Super photos, thanks for sharing, especially the one with your grandson.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

I will add a "wow" to that. Incredible and really cool photos, thanks for sharing.