And now this.... GM bees. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: And now this.... GM bees.

Wow. It truly does amaze me how we can do all this. Mostly because its beyond what I have learned. As far as the Mutagenesis, doesn't the radiation leach through from seed to food to seed? Or is it short half life radiation source.
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

They use gamma rays or beta radiation; gamma rays are simply high-energy light and therefore cannot persist (they are absorbed by the seeds and the surrounding container). Beta particles (high-energy electrons or anti-electrons) are slightly longer lived, but are so reactive that in the presence of matter (e.g. seeds, atmosphere, etc), that they get consumed quickly.

The distinction is the SOURCE of the radiation (radioactive material) VS the RADIATION itself. The radiation, as SuiGeneris pointed out, passed through it. It does not cause the seed to become a SOURCE of radiation.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

All I know about radiation is through weapons and reactors. Mostly through youtube documentarys. So is the radiation equvelant to a chest x-ray? Short half life if it is absorbed? I know in reactors there are things like graphite, water, other metals and materials that become radioactive. How is this different.

> So is the radiation equvelant to a chest x-ray? Short half life if it is absorbed?

No. You are missing the point. Radioactive MATERIAL has a half life. It is radioactive because it is the SOURCE of radiation. X-Rays are just rays, not the material. They travel about the speed of light and are gone as soon as they have passed through. They are like "light" (another radiation) in that they are not a material and therefore have no half life.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

You are confounding "radiation" and "radioactive". Radioactive things - e.g. reactors, etc - release radiation. They exhibit a half -life - e.g. how long it takes before the radioactive item releases half of its radiation. If you contaminate something with a radioactive material, that object then becomes radioactive and emits radiation. Radiation on its own (with a few rare exceptions) cannot render a non-radioactive material radioactive. Essentially, radiation is energy, radioactivity is the source of that energy.

In terms of seed mutagenesis (as well as gamma-irradiated foods), gamma-emitting substances such as cobalt-60 are used. The cobalt is in a sealed container, and the gamma rays are emitted from that to mutate the seeds (or steralise the food).

Ok I think I'm starting to get it. So if the seed came in direct contact with the Radioactive material it could become radioactive. But since the source is sealed and the radiation passes through the vessel and the seed it won't emit radiation. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT View Post
    Ok I think I'm starting to get it. So if the seed came in direct contact with the Radioactive material it could become radioactive. But since the source is sealed and the radiation passes through the vessel and the seed it won't emit radiation. Correct?
    Correct.
    The radiation is a type of electromagnetic waves of a certain wave lengths (just like visible light waves, infrared waves, ultraviolet waves, x-ray waves, etc).
    Radiation material is some matter that emits the radiation waves.
    See that?

The type of radiation discussed probably technically means - gamma rays or the like (something similar to what the atomic bomb explosion will emit).
    The firefighters on Chernobyl got two different problems:
    1)they got exposed to radiation waves from all the radioactive materials around them
    2)they themselves got some of the radioactive materials onto them and even inside them too (by inhaling) and, thus, themselves became sources of the radiation.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

The seed "becomes radioactive" because it has radioactive material stuck to it. The seed is still not radioactive, but now has some radioactive material with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The seed "becomes radioactive" because it has radioactive material stuck to it. The seed is still not radioactive, but now has some radioactive material with it.
    Exactly and straightforward.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12