Miller Feeders

Thread: Miller Feeders

Default Miller Feeders

Hi all, I've used gallon jar and paint can feeders for years now. Think I'm tired of this method of feeding I just hate hauling all the empty hive bodies along with the feeders. Don't get me wrong its a good way to feed. But thinking I might be happier with miller feeders. Does anyone here have experience feeding with these in the north country? Comments? Also would like some thoughts on the wooden miller feeders vs. the plastic insert type? Longevity on these??? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Miller Feeders

I use both the wooden and the plastic insert miller feeders. The plastic insert provides beetles and sometimes bees to hide unless caulked or otherwise sealed between the insert and wooden box. They don't build comb in the plastic insert because the screen keeps them out. My wooden ones let the bees have full access which allows them to drain it much faster, but also allows them to build comb in it. The plastic ones will not give much insulation. I use the wooden ones when I want to feed extra heavy syrup during the winter. If you want the wooden ones to last longer, you can seal them with clear food safe epoxy available the major bee supply sites.

You should also check out the Beemax hive top feeder by Betterbee. They are made out of high density Styrofoam and hold 3 gallons of syrup. I get very little drowning and the feeder is all I use as top insulation for the winter. They are a little pricey at $32 but a few of mine are over 3 years old and are holding up well. I currently have 20 of them, one for each full sized hive.

https://www.betterbee.com/feeders/bhtf.asp
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I watched a university of guelph video and liked what they did and so built a couple of boxes with a gap for the bees to come up through the middle or at the front depending on how I built them. It is just an open box and I put some straw in it so the bees don't drown. It lets you feed a lot fast.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I built miller feeders cutting down old bee boxes and that was a mistake. Too many points for leaks and seepage thru old wood. I put the bee entrance in the middle. In cold country having a single one on an end makes the feed inaccessible to cold bees. I added #8 hardware cloth over the top to prevent a hundred bees swarming in when refilling or during usage. I will put the hardware cloth over the 1/4" opening at the baffle so bees are not in the resevoirs when I have to fill them. In cold weather, I only fill one side at a time. That way I can put warm syrup in the next feeding if the bees could not use the filled side.

I have no experience with the plastic feeders but know people who have had disasters with them. I used the plans from the Dave ???? someone help me! The dead Englishman who left a bee keeping encyclopedia everyone should consult for ideas. My mind is gone, but this is what I think on Miller feeders.