Beekeeping Trailer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Beekeeping Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Neat pics. Can Anyone comment on the Suspension for the trailer. I am considering using an old camper trailer, but was concerned about the bouncing while on the road. Anyone know how many G force warm loaded comb can take, (pot hole style)
    Does anyone know about how fast they can spin their frames with wax foundation before the foundation blows out?

You can probably make a very rough estimate of how much a wax frame can withstand by calculating the centripetal acceleration in an extractor and then using that as a starting point. A frame of honey will experience more force (and is more likely to break) than an empty frame due to the weight difference between the frames. The yield (breaking) strength of the comb and wax attached to a frame is probably about the same for an empty (drawn) frame and a filled frame.

Here is a link with the math for centripital acceleration
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/c...on-d_1285.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

odfrank, the ride quality is entirely dependent upon the load applied to the trailer vs. the maximum load. any dual axle trailer is ridiculously bumpy without anything on it. But with 1500-2000 lbs of beehives on it, it should ride alot smoother. A single axle trailer would be a better ride quality, but I definitely wouldnt be able to move it with honey on top.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilson View Post
    odfrank, the ride quality is entirely dependent upon the load applied to the trailer vs. the maximum load. any dual axle trailer is ridiculously bumpy without anything on it. But with 1500-2000 lbs of beehives on it, it should ride alot smoother. A single axle trailer would be a better ride quality, but I definitely wouldnt be able to move it with honey on top.
    Having towed trailers for close to 50 years, I have found that when a single axle trailer hits a pot hole or bump it really bounces. Whereas a two axle trailer more bridges these obstacles reducing the shock to the contents.
    H
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

This looks great! Nice job.

IMG_20190503_191010431_HDR.jpg here is mine, i'm building it with intentions of moving them south for winter. will hold 24 hives double stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBeekinMI View Post
    IMG_20190503_191010431_HDR.jpg here is mine, i'm building it with intentions of moving them south for winter. will hold 24 hives double stacked.
    Looks good, how much do you expect each hive to weight (wood, wax, bees, honey,pollen)? I would get a set of "premium tires"
    I was thinking of taking an old camper frame and doing something the same, I still need to settle on size 8 frame or 9 or 10.
    I would think you want to put the bees in and let them set for a week or 2 so they propolize every thing nice and tight, prior to lift off.
    How far south were you thinking of?
    GG

I run all 8 frame equipment so I don't think weight will be too much of an issue, If it is, I will add another axle, and you bet I will be running those premium tires! I have a buddy that lives in Kentucky so I will start there. otherwise I have connections in Florida.

Pretty narrow working space inside
    I would have lower row down on the deck. That would give you more height to super up. Will the back be open for ventilation?

QUOTE=VanBeekinMI;1755919]IMG_20190503_191010431_HDR.jpg here is mine, i'm building it with intentions of moving them south for winter. will hold 24 hives double stacked.[/QUOTE]
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I run all 8 frame equipment so I don't think weight will be too much of an issue, If it is, I will add another axle, and you bet I will be running those premium tires! I have a buddy that lives in Kentucky so I will start there. otherwise I have connections in Florida.
    Let us know how it works, I am optimistic it will work for you. Go as far as you need to , to winter on the stores you have. Compare a few gallons of syrup vrs the fuel to get to Florida, once in Kentucky

Having banged my head more than once while loading and unloading a 5’x8’ enclosed trailer, my belief is the top will be an impediment to both honey supering and anger management. Twenty-four (24) double deep hives will possibly weigh hundreds of pounds over supposed weight limits for similar-sized trailers too - be safe.

Another thought.....working hives so closely spaced is hard enough even on an open trailer. Very difficult to take boxes on and off tightly spaced and with an overhead obstacle, the bottom of the upper shelf and the ceiling. Plus the heat working inside a non air conditioned box. I see you finding this crowded tiny space unworkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Let us know how it works, I am optimistic it will work for you. Go as far as you need to , to winter on the stores you have. Compare a few gallons of syrup vrs the fuel to get to Florida, once in Kentucky
    I go to Kentucky a few times a year anyway and a couple times to Florida so fuel wouldn't be a problem.

I go to Kentucky a few times a year anyway and a couple times to Florida so fuel wouldn't be a problem.
    Van, did you intend to split while you were down there? I have heard of guy from mich, taking 50 hive to Fla and splitting and coming back with 100.

GG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12