Open feeding and found two queens

Default Open feeding and found two queens

My wife texted me while at work today and said there were a lot of bees where I’ve been feeding (I’ve been open feeding, will stop soon...). I got home and after checking my three hives took the golfcart by the open feed and noticed two distinct balls off bees by the feeder (paint can full of sugar syrup).
    I assumed it was bees tearing up a hornet or yellow jacket and was curious. I grabbed a stick and started pulling the first ball apart and couldn’t believe a queen was there. Grabbed a queen cage quick and put her inside. I couldn’t believe it. Got the stick and pulled the 2nd ball apart, low and behold queen #2, grabbed a 2nd queen cage quick and put her in it.
    I sat back and wondered what to do for a while because I’ve obviously got bees feeding from atleast 5 hives here.
    I strapped both queen in cages to a frame of drawn comb with rubber bands. I assumed bees were still there for the feed so I got a bottom board, box and cover and put three frames (one with both queens) and the paint can inside the hive to hopefully draw as many inside the hive as possible.
    I took one queen off the frame (with the lease amount of bees on the outside of the queen cage) and added some attendants and put her in my house, not quite sure what to do with her yet.
    Currently waiting on the sun to go down so I can move that hive to my stands and lock them up for a few days and release the queen after a day or two and see if she starts laying.
    Wondering if I should add a frame of emerging bees from another hive to promote laying or just scrap the whole thing and combine with another hive.
    Obviously I’ll remove the feed can and probably move them to a nuc but imagine being in Ga I’ll have enough time for her to lay up enough to make it thru the winter.
    Any other suggestions on my current situation? If she doesn’t lay maybe I’ll try the other queen before combining with another hive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I did find all three of my marked queens when I checked my hives before I located these two queens.

Default Re: Open feeding and found two queens

Quote Originally Posted by jad0001 View Post
    Yes, I did find all three of my marked queens when I checked my hives before I located these two queens.
    The open feeding might have drawn a swarm.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

I wonder if those were virgin queens. Perhaps they followed a cluster of bees from their home hive rather than going up - and got balled. Talk about timing on your part!

I checked the hive after releasing the queen a few days ago and found a few eggs but one of her front legs was gone halfway down. Made the decision easy on which queen to use.