Apimaye Hive bees more aggressive?

Default Apimaye Hive bees more aggressive?

My hot and semi-hot hive happens to reside in plastic Apimaye beehives. Is this just a coincidence as I only have 4 hives (now 5)? Or is the plastic equipment somehow making the bees more cranky?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Apimaye Hive bees more aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by MimiE View Post
    My hot and semi-hot hive happens to reside in plastic Apimaye beehives. Is this just a coincidence as I only have 4 hives (now 5)? Or is the plastic equipment somehow making the bees more cranky?
    This is a good question and I am not aware anyone doing an objective study on this subject yet.

Of course, the vendors will swear that plastic is good for the bees.
    There are obvious positives (micro-climate, etc).
    What about non-obvious negatives?
    I am all ears.

PS: how many toxic and carcinogenic plastic components have been discovered lately used by the humans?
    I lost count.
    More to come.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

In the no news is good news category, I sold two nucs this spring that I installed into Apimaye hives. The buyer has not called to complain about me selling him hot bees and mine are Russian/Carni mutts that tend to run a little warm at times.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My sample size is small, but I haven't noticed anything like that. I've had both semi-hot and very gentle colonies in Apimaye hives and wooden hives. For example, I caught a swarm in a plywood nuc box and it seemed a little hot. After a week in a 10-frame Apimaye box they seemed gentle, or at least average. I doubt the hives had anything to do with it -- more likely something about the queen starting to lay or something like that.

If there is a difference, I'd think temperature, ventilation, and location of entrances are more likely to be relevant variables than the plastic itself. For example, in the dead of winter, maybe a well-insulated colony would be more aggressive because it wouldn't be tightly clustered. Or, as another example, my colonies with upper entrances sometimes seem more aggressive because when I remove those top boxes the returning foragers are confused and buzz around looking for the entrance they departed from.

If plastic itself was the issue, I'd expect users of plastic frames to have noticed by now. Then again, maybe that's a different type of plastic, so who knows...

Own four and getting more. Never had a problem with them being a problem for the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by cfalls View Post
    ......If plastic itself was the issue, I'd expect users of plastic frames to have noticed by now. Then again, maybe that's a different type of plastic, so who knows...
    Just like milk jugs are different from water bottles.
    Of course, the plastics are different.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.