Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Crystallized Honey to Creamed Honey Process

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Grins 
#1 ·
I have about 5 gallons of crystallized honey from last year that I am trying to find a use for. I also have a good amount of non-crystallized honey from this year that I would like to try making creamed honey with.
Can I use some of the crystallized honey as starter for creamed honey in the most recent harvested liquid honey, or will that just ruin the liquid honey?

If not; what do I do with all this crystallized honey!?! Right now it makes for an excellent bucket sized paperweight.

#2 ·
I would sample the crystallized honey to see how smooth it feels on the tongue. If it is rough like salt instead of creamy I would not use it as seed as you will get the same rough texture.

You could melt it in a dbl boiler if it is too coarse. Look up the Dyce method for creamed honey for a detailed explanation.

Alex

#5 ·
The Dyce method works well, use good seed honey. Any crystalized honey can be liquefied for a good long time by heating it to 150, holding there for 15 minutes, then cooling it quickly. I've turned undesirable creamed honey liquid this way and it remains liquid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.