Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

OAV - First dose different than subsequent doses?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fivej 
#1 ·
I just noticed while reviewing the instructions for my Varrox that they call for 1g per box for the initial dose and then just 1 g total for subsequent doses regardless of hive size. I’ve always used 1g per box for every treatment (2 grams for a colony consisting of 2 deeps.) Are the instructions “outdated” or am I dosing too heavily for second and third doses?

#3 ·
1g per brood box is - afaik - what most people apply on every application. I seem to remember there have been a couple of studies done to establish the most cost-effective amount, but - at a moment's notice I could only find results from one: http://www.heilysertechnology.com/oxalic.html

But - they talk in terms of "per beehive" rather than "per box", so it's not all that helpful, other than it shows that quite a range of doses have been tried - presumably without calamity.

For myself, I dose at a very approximate 1g per box - quite often they receive more than that. 1g per box has only been established as a 'rule of thumb' by a suck-it-and-see approach after all, so precision isn't absolutely necessary. Rest easy.
LJ

#4 ·
#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.