Engineering Project

View Poll Results: Are beehives to heavy?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 50.00%
  • No

3 50.00%

Default Engineering Project

I am a Pre-Engineering student and for my project I need to know if bee hives are to heavy to easily transport

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Engineering Project

There are several devices that will move hives.
    If you want an engineering project, get a robot to photograph both sides of every frame in a hive. A hive can consist of multiple boxes so the robot will have to be able to go through all boxes. Design the robot so that it will navigate itself through an apiary and check hives which are programmed.
    Also, as an engineering student, you need to have correct grammar. You need to say " I need to know if bee hives are too heavy to be easily transported".
    Best of luck!

Interested to hear about your project...

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by beeteam6 View Post
    I am a Pre-Engineering student and for my project I need to know if bee hives are to heavy to easily transport
    A strangely vague and subjective question. Not too heavy for some, but too heavy for others would be my vague response.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Also, as an engineering student, you need to have correct grammar.
    As an engineer most engineers have horrible spelling and poor grammer. I think having handwriting that others can read will be way more important than grammer.

My big hive right now is about 375 lbs, so it is way to heavy (and tall at 6 ft) to move. My hives do not move so I have not answered the poll, because I am not sure my answer would be beneficial to you. I can see a good affordable way to move hives being useful to others, but not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    As an engineer most engineers have horrible spelling and poor grammer. I think having handwriting that others can read will be way more important than grammer.

My big hive right now is about 375 lbs, so it is way to heavy (and tall at 6 ft) to move. My hives do not move so I have not answered the poll, because I am not sure my answer would be beneficial to you. I can see a good affordable way to move hives being useful to others, but not to me.
    One of the most brilliant engineers I've ever worked with (actually THE most brilliant) had horrible grammar. I guess his mind had better things to think about.

My teachers (UCF) never let me slide. Where I ended up in software engineering, I have to write a bit of documentation so I'm glad the teachers were critical.

My technical report writing instructor, back when I was in college and considering engineering as my major, was a real stickler for proper grammer and especially punctuation. I remember one paper in which I wrote 2-1/2" as 2 1/2", leaving out the hyphen. Did it a few times on the same paper and lost two points for each occurrence. Cost me an entire letter grade on the paper. Ouch.

At least the bees don't care so much about punctuation. However, I understand that spelling is their thing.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.