Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    I weigh right (and left) sides with this (pretty much identical): http://grb.nordicshops.com/product.h...mekanisk-kc-08
    Usually the needed accuracy is possible to get with weighing one side only.

I have just replaced the upper hook with a handle and the lower hook with a longer one.
    Juhannni, from hook to handle is about 20 inches on my setup. Once I see that colonies are fairly even weight then I just grab one side for progress checks. My gross weight of 125 lbs is with telescopic cover removed. It takes about 30 seconds per hive and very little grunting!
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    125lbs in Canada?

For a double deep ?
    Yes. Carni type bees. In addition I will put 4 or 5 lbs of moistened sugar over newspaper on frame tops. Medium super of shavings on top.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Juhannni, from hook to handle is about 20 inches on my setup. Once I see that colonies are fairly even weight then I just grab one side for progress checks. My gross weight of 125 lbs is with telescopic cover removed. It takes about 30 seconds per hive and very little grunting!

My limit for feeding is 50kg (total weigh, 2 shallow 12 frame boxes, about 1,5 deep Langstroth)

Usually they have +10 kg food left in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post

My limit for feeding is 50kg (total weigh, 2 shallow 12 frame boxes, about 1,5 deep Langstroth)

Usually they have +10 kg food left in spring.
    I have read somewhere that the bees cannot clean up the remaining honey in frame corners under clustering conditions when remaining reserves get much below 15 lbs. Too much risk of them getting locked on brood and starving.

I could very likely get by at a bit lighter gross weight but since it gets used up anyway I dont think it would be a wise gamble.
    Frank

MP, thanks for the idea with the epoxy lined paint cans. Put 45 2mm holes in on the CNC.
    The girls are taking 2 gallons down in a couple of days. Use to use top feeders and would
    take 4-5 times as long, especially on cold nights. Brought the weight up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
    The girls are taking 2 gallons down in a couple of days. Use to use top feeders and would
    take 4-5 times as long, especially on cold nights.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
    MP, thanks for the idea with the epoxy lined paint cans. Put 45 2mm holes in on the CNC.
    take 4-5 times as long, especially on cold nights. Brought the weight up quickly.
    45 is a lot of holes! Be careful that it is not "raining" syrup on to the bees.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

It does seem like a lot at first, especially at 2mm. But then again, I have 18 holes in a mason jar lid that I punch with my staple gun.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    45 is a lot of holes! Be careful that it is not "raining" syrup on to the bees.
    I find smaller than this is harder for them to get out a thick syrup. With 45 holes more bees can be feeding
    at once. Once you turn the can over the vacuum prevents it from coming out, don't find it to be continuously
    leaking.

6 penny =.12 inch (without CNC control)
    2 mm =.0787 inch

Guess an old nail and a hammer is a little bigger hole.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

The combined area of the proposed 45 holes is about equal to a single 1/2" dia. hole. No way you need to accommodate such a flow potential!
    Frank

One of the curious things I've noticed is that certain hives seem to need twice as much syrup to put on the same amount of weight.

I suspect this is because they're using the syrup to draw out incomplete combs?

In some hives, I'll give them 2 gallons, and they'll put on approximately 20lbs. On other hives, I'll give them 4 gallons and they struggle to add 20lbs.

I'm feeding 2+ gallons at a time, so I don't suspect they're using it for brood rearing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    One of the curious things I've noticed is that certain hives seem to need twice as much syrup to put on the same amount of weight.
    I have puzzled about that myself. I requeened 2 hives at the beginning of August and they were both in the 85 lb range by the beginning of September. After feeding 4 gallons of 2:1 with bucket feeders, hive #1 had gained 20 lb, while hive #2 had gained 6. Hive #2 is still light, so they have become a science experiment to see if they can make it through the Winter. Hive #2 has a good queen with a solid laying pattern, but I don't think they started with enough bees to keep the brood warm, so they were very slow to build up. Hive #1 had more bees, but a poor queen when they were requeened, so they had a better chance.
    FEEDER: I've turned to the 1 gallon plastic buckets with a screen plug. I'm finding a lot more bees can get to the syrup, they don't drip, and they don't plug up. Next Spring, I'm going to put some into wide mouth mason jars for feeding nucs.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

I have used quart mason jars for years and have never seen bees take the syrup that fast. The most I ever see taken is 2 quarts a day and that much is pretty rare. Is it possible that the holes are just too small and they cannot get it out quick enough? There are 10 or 15 holes in the lid of the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I have used quart mason jars for years and have never seen bees take the syrup that fast. The most I ever see taken is 2 quarts a day and that much is pretty rare. Is it possible that the holes are just too small and they cannot get it out quick enough? There are 10 or 15 holes in the lid of the jar.
    It think it is just a matter of access. I run a very different system but it is nothing for strong double to take in a gallon of prosweet or 1:1 in 12 hours in my frame feeders. 45 holes is alot
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

@ Michael Palmer- How many paint cans do you keep on hand for fall feeding? Enough to feed them all at once (2-5 cans per hive), or enough to feed x number of yards at a time?

A couple thousand I would guess. Enough to feed everyone what they need at once.

Maybe silly question, but how are you cleaning all those cans at the end of feeding? And what do you do with excess syrup if any?

I donít clean them.. extra syrup is stored in unheated shed and used in spring if necessary.. if the cans smell fermented on the inside the following fall, they get rinsed.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to turn on the sound for the video? I do not have my old laptop anymore - lost in the fire - and the Library computer is usually set to silent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12