Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight

A new video on determine winter weight in my beehives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRkbSDqafG4

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight

It was nice seeing a new video Michael. We've worn the other ones out. Thanks for stopping by the beginner area. We need it.

Michael,

What is your opinion about wrapping hives together, rather than individually?

We live in a very cold climate like yours, and I was planning on wrapping 4 or 5 colonies all pushed together in a row with foam board between and on the outside.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post

Michael

Thank you for the great video on to the in site of how you weigh your hives. It so easy that I could even weigh my hive that was a triple and weigh 190.

Thanks

Mitchel Wayne

last year I did not have the paint cans cause I have never got around to buying some and I run all mediums. I did have bunches of coffee cans. I left the top off the coffee cans and then put a little straw in the top and just set them up right on the top bars with no spacers. Because the coffee cans were around 31 ounce cans, the total feed at one time was only right around two gals. I only write this for those that run all mediums. a 31 ounce coffee can will fit in a singe medium box and a paint can takes two mediums.

I love michael palmer vidios and try to steal as many ideals as I can from them and then screw up a good thing by sloppily adding my tilt to it to fit my bee keeping or use things I have with out buying stuff.

I learned a quick rule of thumb process of mixing sugar water (2/1) from an inter view video that michael gave and it has made messing with mixing great for a brain dead person.

Thanks for the videos michael.
    gww
    zone 5b

I tried multiple scales. Tried, some of the $30-50 digital packaging scales from amazon. Did not work, do not recommend.

I ordered this Rubbermaid scale, very similar to the one that Michael is using. Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by username00101; 09-24-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Michael,

What is your opinion about wrapping hives together, rather than individually?

We live in a very cold climate like yours, and I was planning on wrapping 4 or 5 colonies all pushed together in a row with foam board between and on the outside.

Thanks.
    i did this last year and all the hives did well. I dont know if its really necessary but with the small number of hives i have it isnt too much bother.

Thanks for the vid MP. Those shims did not look like they were ripped to 11/32" though. J

Nice video!
    Why don´t you use top feeders?

Top feeders woks well...in warm weather. Once the weather turns cold, bees won't leave the cluster to work in the feeder.

Then again, I have too many colonies and don't want to buy/make hundreds of hive top feeders. also, I can measure more accurately how much I feed each colony.

Top feeders woks well...in warm weather. Once the weather turns cold, bees won't leave the cluster to work in the feeder.

Then again, I have too many colonies and don't want to buy/make hundreds of hive top feeders. also, I can measure more accurately how much I feed each colony.

Here in Finland all honey crops are over by mid August (usually much earlier), the first frosts come usually mid September, sometimes 10th sometimes 20th. My bees, although in un-isolated (18 mm wood or plywood) hives, work well after night frosts too, when the start has been earlier, usually end of August (this year 25th of August). Even after a cold frost night bees "wait" for the solution, many times filling the corridor of the feeder entirely.

I always weigh my hives too, and give sugar solution according to that. 20 liter buckets, it is easy to take 5, 7 or 10 liters at a time.

Some beekeepers use 30 liter top feeders.

What's the general possibility of a late season swarm, when bulk feeding and bringing hives up to target weight?

I cant wait to see your "Spring Swarm Prevention" video! Please place it on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    What's the general possibility of a late season swarm, when bulk feeding and bringing hives up to target weight?
    About none

At this point, my only regret I have is not having purchased that Rubbermaid scale as soon as I found Michael's video.

I wasted a week of warm weather ordering and returning less expensive scales that were inconsistent and inaccurate.

This video has allowed me to bring most of my hives up to weight for the winter.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video and post it here, Michael.

My hive stand configuration does not allow me to use the type of scale MP uses but I do weigh my hives and have for the last five years. I use a digital game scale to weigh front and back then add them together. This method may or may not be on the money but it works for me. I use 8 frame mediums stacked 4 high with a minimum target of 135 lbs. I made a video a few years ago if you’re interested. https://youtu.be/kdyYdDIogZ8

Michigan Mike I use the same method and scale, been doing it for years I shoot for 125 lbs in 2 deeps works great for me

Quote Originally Posted by Cjj View Post
    Michigan Mike I use the same method and scale, been doing it for years I shoot for 125 lbs in 2 deeps works great for me
    Ditto, but I weigh left and right sides. Sliding whole hive onto a scale would not fly with my hive stand arrangement.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Ditto, but I weigh left and right sides. Sliding whole hive onto a scale would not fly with my hive stand arrangement.
    I weigh right (and left) sides with this (pretty much identical): http://grb.nordicshops.com/product.h...mekanisk-kc-08
    Usually the needed accuracy is possible to get with weighing one side only.

I have just replaced the upper hook with a handle and the lower hook with a longer one.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    125lbs in Canada?

For a double deep ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast