Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Weighing Beehives-Winter Weight

Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to turn on the sound for the video? I do not have my old laptop anymore - lost in the fire - and the Library computer is usually set to silent.
    Did you catch the MattDavey post; On the Youtube Video, click on the "CC" icon to turn on Close Captions (Subtitles). Then on the "Settings" icon go to: Subtitles -> Auto Translate -> English

more data added to thread:https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...obile-operator

(We all know of the kick in your teeth you got from the fire.
    If I had an old laptop I would send it to you in the hope you would post more often.)
    Last edited by Saltybee; 12-07-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

CJJ,
    If your target weight is 125 in double deep is that most every frame full of stores except for maybe a frame or so for cluster space? I'm partly thinking that the outer frames don't usually get filled well so I'm wondering how full the rest of the frames are.

That is my target weight. 125 lbs. gross including bottom board, 2 deeps and inner cover (no telescope cover). The top box will be nearly solid frames of honey but center frames may have empty cells where the cluster is. That is more than enough for Carni bees but may not be enough for large colonies of italians that raised brood late into the fall. I have little experience with those robbers!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Michael,

What is your opinion about wrapping hives together, rather than individually?

We live in a very cold climate like yours, and I was planning on wrapping 4 or 5 colonies all pushed together in a row with foam board between and on the outside.

Thanks.
    The bees will only heat the cluster, and the air in the hive will be almost the same as the outside air. You also don't want them too warm, as they will eat more feed.
    It's important to insulate the top to keep condensation from dripping on the bees, keep them out of the wind, and provide top and bottom ventilation so they can get rid of excess moisture and CO2.
    The main thing: make sure the mites are under control starting in August, and see that they have enough feed to last them through the Winter. Michael Palmer likes his double deeps to weigh 120-130 lb. In Nova Scotia, we like to see 60-80 lb of honey, or a weight of 100-120 lb for a double deep. After that, the bees will look after themselves.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

The lightest doubles I ever weighed, with bees, at the beginning of October was 70 pounds. Add to that 70 or 80 pounds I get 140-150. That's why I suggest the weight I do. If you winter double nucs you will see that the bees in the two nucs form one cluster with the divider between them. I assume that if you push two stand alone nucs together, the same heat sharing thing would happen. It has been shown that on the prairies of Manitoba, setting the nucs in large blocks does heal in wintering in that harsh climate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123