Goldenrod pollen vs. nectar/ treatment rambling

Default Goldenrod pollen vs. nectar/ treatment rambling

My 4 hives here in Connecticut look like they're pulling in a bunch of yellow pollen (I couldn't count per second the amount of bees bringing in pollen for any of the 4 hives). Some dark yellow, some much lighter. I'm assuming most of it is goldenrod? Anyway, is this indicative of a good fall flow, or not necessarily?

Unfortunately, one of my booming hives is under Apivar treatment, which thankfully ends this weekend. 42 days is crazy long and I have to wait to put supers on until then. The other hive with Apivar seems like there's not much traffic at the entrance, so when I remove the treatment this weekend I'll see. Maybe I should've waited until October to treat? I could've had the supers on at least one of the hives sooner. Guess I'll be hopping on the oav train next year. Plus for the price of Apivar, an oav setup will pay for itself quickly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Goldenrod pollen vs. nectar/ treatment rambling

Probably mostly goldenrod. Bees bringing in pollen doesn't necessarily mean that the nectar from the same plant is flowing, but with goldenrod you can assume it is. Don't wait until October to treat. I'm not familiar with your area,but its a safe assumption that you want at least 2 cycles of "mite free" bees in order to have healthy winter bees to survive the winter months. Next year consider Formic Pro which you can use with supers on. It does have high temp considerations, but I have always managed to find a few days cool enough to start the treatment in late July, early August. OAV is great, but keep in mind that it does not penetrate the cappings so you need to do a series. I do use OAV for a "clean up" in the fall sometimes and a "one shot" around xmas when they are broodless. This will bring your bees into spring virtually miteless. This allows me to not treat again until late July/early Aug. J

Default Re: Goldenrod pollen vs. nectar/ treatment rambling

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Probably mostly goldenrod. Bees bringing in pollen doesn't necessarily mean that the nectar from the same plant is flowing, but with goldenrod you can assume it is. Don't wait until October to treat. I'm not familiar with your area,but its a safe assumption that you want at least 2 cycles of "mite free" bees in order to have healthy winter bees to survive the winter months. Next year consider Formic Pro which you can use with supers on. It does have high temp considerations, but I have always managed to find a few days cool enough to start the treatment in late July, early August. OAV is great, but keep in mind that it does not penetrate the cappings so you need to do a series. I do use OAV for a "clean up" in the fall sometimes and a "one shot" around xmas when they are broodless. This will bring your bees into spring virtually miteless. This allows me to not treat again until late July/early Aug. J
    Thanks Fivej. I've heard some negative things with formic, and the temp requirements look like it's probably better to use in September or October. I'd be reluctant to use it in August. I'm also reluctant to use any treatment with supers on. I know it's probably an unreasonable response, but that's my current philosophy.

Anyway, I'm open to using it as a part of my IPM. This year I used the last of my Apilife Var for two hives, and used Apivar for my other two hives. I haven't done mite counts as I'm told I should, so I'm not sure what helps what - it's entirely prophylactic. I just think switching treatments is the way to go.