nuc abscond question

Default nuc abscond question

I made up a nuc about 2 months ago, checked on the queen shortly after making the nuc and everything was ok. Walked by the nuc yesterday late in the afternoon and saw that there were not many bees coming out so I popped the top and saw several bees on the top of the frame and since it was in the upper 90's I closed the box up. Today when I walked outside I found a swarm in a tree. I got it boxed up and took care of, I then went to check the nuc that did not have many bees yesterday. When I opened the box there was not 200 bees in it, There was emerging brood and open nectar in the frames but no young larva of any age. Also there was no swarm cells present in the box. And I only found 1 hive beetle in the box. The bees have been treated with oav 3 times in July and 3 times in Aug so mites should not have been the problem. Even tho there was not a swarm cell present My guess is that they lost the queen and this swarm was from the mating flight of a new queen. But does a whole hive go out on a mating flight like this.
    Anyone have anymore gusses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: nuc abscond question

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    I made up a nuc about 2 months ago, checked on the queen shortly after making the nuc and everything was ok. Walked by the nuc yesterday late in the afternoon and saw that there were not many bees coming out so I popped the top and saw several bees on the top of the frame and since it was in the upper 90's I closed the box up. Today when I walked outside I found a swarm in a tree. I got it boxed up and took care of, I then went to check the nuc that did not have many bees yesterday. When I opened the box there was not 200 bees in it, There was emerging brood and open nectar in the frames but no young larva of any age. Also there was no swarm cells present in the box. And I only found 1 hive beetle in the box. The bees have been treated with oav 3 times in July and 3 times in Aug so mites should not have been the problem. Even tho there was not a swarm cell present My guess is that they lost the queen and this swarm was from the mating flight of a new queen. But does a whole hive go out on a mating flight like this.
    This is exactly what mine did, had OAV'd them 4 times, better cage the queen for a week, mine just took off again after reboxing.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

I’v had nucs abscond and the have no swarm cell...hence abscond. The have brood in all stages, but not enough bees to cover the brood. Only bees are newly emerged bees and field bees who returned after the abscond left. One thing...after a few days you’ll find emergency cells, created after the abscond left. Heat will do this. Colony can’t cool their small cavity, and leave. Adding another story is necessary

So to me, that’s how to ID an abscond from a swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Arkansas is an extremely warm climate.

That forcast made me cringe.

What's the weather like in the summer?

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Our weather is calling for over 100 several days this week. So these girls will be going in the shade. I put a frame of open larva in the new box with them so they should stay. Thanks for the replys

I lost 3 nucs the same way this summer. We had a week up sunny 90+ and when I went to retrieve them, 3 of the 4 nucs I created were gone. I chalked it up to heat and next time will pay more attention to not put them in direct sun if it is going to be very warm.

I have never had it as bad as this year out of 20 nucs 6 absconded. They were mostly started from swarm cells. I had an unusual amount of swarms this summer. I caught 3 of them, entered the hive they came out of and salvaged swarm cells for nucs. They were doing great in 5x5 nuc boxes thought I better check. All gone ??? In some it just appeared like they said nope we are not drawing out that top box bye.

Quote Originally Posted by redmcc View Post
    All gone ??? In some it just appeared like they said nope we are not drawing out that top box bye.
    Did you add a box of foundation on top of a single story nuc? That often fails. Overhead foundation isn't always seen as expansion space. Next time, move a frame of brood up with the foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Did you add a box of foundation on top of a single story nuc? That often fails. Overhead foundation isn't always seen as expansion space. Next time, move a frame of brood up with the foundation.
    Thanks Michael I usually move a frame of honey up but I will be sure to put brood up.