Are moth eggs susceptible to paradichlorobenzene?

Question Are moth eggs susceptible to paradichlorobenzene?

Here's the story: I removed frames from a "collapsing" hive in summer (bee #s vanishing, etc, and some SHB maggots appearing). Froze them for 2 weeks, then stored them in large plastic bins (not air-tight, I guess, but pretty snug at the tops). About 2 weeks ago, I sprayed each frame with a solution of Bt-k (dosed per label for generic moths), just-in-case.

Last week I checked -- scores of moths, moth maggots, cocoons, webbing all over the frames. I dumped in the PDB, and w/in a day .... moths dead, and seemingly no activity.

So .... can I rely on the chemical to have killed the moth eggs? I'm sure cold doesn't do it, and scrubbing with soapy water doesn't seem too effective, either. Also, the fact that the moths developed from maggots bothers me, considering I used Bt-k.

I've lost some really beautiful honeycomb because of these vermin. Any ideas/suggestions/etc would be appreciated.

FWIW, a keeper pal of mine says she simply tosses frames when she sees their foundations are infested. Cheap to get new ones (per her; I'm unemployed, so nothing's cheap to me), a pain to clean/store, and not worth risking infecting a happy hive with frames carrying vermin eggs.

Mitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Are moth eggs susceptible to paradichlorobenzene?

No, PDB will not kill the moth's eggs. You have to check and re-treat the comb after 3 or 4 weeks when all the eggs have hatched. Cold will kill the moth's eggs, but it must be below 20 degrees F. for 24 hours.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Also BT-k is the wrong BT, you need BT-aizawai.

Quote Originally Posted by RAST View Post
    Also BT-k is the wrong BT, you need BT-aizawai.
    That's what I was told originally last year, but in the meantime, the consensus seems to be that Bt-k is as good; there're lots of posts in the Forum that indicate that (unless you have some new info?) .....

Well mlanden, I'll take your word about other posts and using the K strain. But if I read your post correctly, you sprayed with K and 2 weeks later you still had worms. I have always used the A strain and never had a problem in storage with worms. And yes, I have used it on infested deadouts and stopped the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by RAST View Post
    Well mlanden, I'll take your word about other posts and using the K strain. But if I read your post correctly, you sprayed with K and 2 weeks later you still had worms. I have always used the A strain and never had a problem in storage with worms. And yes, I have used it on infested deadouts and stopped the damage.
    OK -- if you use the "search" box and type Bt-k or wax moth treatments (along those lines), the posts should pop up.

Re: the maggots showing after Tx .... I didn't expect that, but then again, the Bt-k I used was from a bottle I've had for God-only-knows how many years. It could be it's no longer viable? Time to buy new, regardless.

I think Bt-a has to be bought online, and I've read lots of complaints in the Forum about it having a short shelf life and often being "expired" even upon delivery.

The battle continues .....