Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mayan Stingless Beekeeping in Clay Pots by the Nahuas indigenous people

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JustBees 
#1 ·
Documentary in Spanish. The beekeeping and honey extraction is in the first 15 minutes.

From Wikipedia: "The Nahua comprise the largest indigenous group in Mexico and second largest group in El Salvador."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuas

Apparently, this species, Melipona Beecheii, and the native beekeeping practice is going extinct in its native habitat of the Yucatan Peninsula, but keeping them is a popular hobby in Cuba.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...bees-mysteriously-find-a-sweeter-home-in-cuba

#2 ·
Not sure I can agree with the doom and gloom. I've seen Melipona beecheii in Mexico twice in recent years. In face I saw three species of Melipona in Veracruz, and three species of another stingless bee, Trigona in the same apiary. I've seen Melipona kept in log hives, box hives, and traditional clay hives as in the above photo. I've seen Trigona in trees and box hives. Just last week I saw species of Melipona and Trigona in Oaxaca Mexico. Also was given a Trigona honey pot from a box hive in Xochimilco, MX. The Melipona honey in Veracruz tasted of vinegar, but still interesting. The Trigona honey last week was slightly acid but delicious and sweet. Plenty of honeys from these bees being sold in the market place. Probably not all as advertised, but still, some pure Melipona honey is there. And, I believe there are now educational programs for women in the Yucatan to promote Melipona culture.

Also, I know a professor in Virginia who promotes Melipona culture in the Amazon. He has devised a box hive that allows honey harvest without destroying the colony as is often done in the traditional clay hives, and also reduces losses to a predatory fly.

#3 ·
Any idea why they are not permitted in the USA? Would another Pollinator really be a bad thing? Is there some other reason?
I had looked into these several years ago because of the "Stingless" part :)
The honey is supposed to be good and different but also more watery.
I've seen a few shows about them. I'm sure theres several on Youtube

#7 · (Edited)
The downside of keeping these bees is they only produce about 20% the volume of honey.

This is why we have the European Honey Bee in america, yes it is hypocritical to keep this specis in a country that has closed boarders.
(an imported bee is the most popular bee and industries are totally dependent on a non-native specis)

It's all good as long as the right guys profit......