What are they doing???
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Joliet, il
    Posts
    1,875

    Default What are they doing???

    I have a paper wasp nest in my tree. Tthe wasps are black and white.. i have 3 big pussy willows on the side of my house. They have not given pollen since April so the tree is just a bush with leaves. These wasps have been all over the 3 bushes. There has to be 50 to 100 wasps on each bush. I can not figure out why.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO United States
    Posts
    1,388

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Perhaps.., sap or other insects to eat
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Otsego County, NY, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    or chewing up material to make "paper" with

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bellevue, NE, USA
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Disreguard what they are doing and flame thrower those things! lol Just kidding!
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Drayton Valley, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Check for aphids or other tiny insects. Looks like ‘galls’ on the leaves in the photos. Usually those are where tiny insects are incubating. Possibly some honeydew being produced which would attract wasps, particularly this time of year. Had a similar situation last year on my Burr Oaks.
    Brian

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Joliet, il
    Posts
    1,875

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Quote Originally Posted by BDT123 View Post
    Check for aphids or other tiny insects. Looks like ‘galls’ on the leaves in the photos. Usually those are where tiny insects are incubating. Possibly some honeydew being produced which would attract wasps, particularly this time of year. Had a similar situation last year on my Burr Oaks.
    Brian
    Not all leaves but alot do have scale. Its bumps on the leaves. They are all over like honey bees on a bowl of 1:1. You can hear the buz there are so many on it. Everytime i walk past i have to duck down so i dont hit any. And i just look and see whats going on.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lassen, California, USA
    Posts
    660

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Those are Bald Faced Hornets, they eat yellow jackets. We have them here, and I watched with interest as one had a fight with a yellow jacket, then proceeded to eat it. Was really neat to watch. They can have HUGE nests.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    3,819

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    Those are Bald Faced Hornets, they eat yellow jackets. We have them here, and I watched with interest as one had a fight with a yellow jacket, then proceeded to eat it. Was really neat to watch. They can have HUGE nests.
    Yep, and JohnM got it right regarding building materials. I had a lilac bush darn near killed from the hornets girdling the bark.The hornets eat bees too so I do not have much use for them. Eradicate.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ka'u Hawaii
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    Those are Bald Faced Hornets, they eat yellow jackets. We have them here, and I watched with interest as one had a fight with a yellow jacket, then proceeded to eat it. Was really neat to watch. They can have HUGE nests.
    You dangled that 'They.' I know yellow jackets can have huge nests. Is that also true of the BF hornets?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lassen, California, USA
    Posts
    660

    Default Re: What are they doing???

    Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    You dangled that 'They.' I know yellow jackets can have huge nests. Is that also true of the BF hornets?
    Sorry, BF Hornets, were the 'they', was in a hurry. Yes, BF Hornets can have huge nests.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •