Good Luck to those in FL - Tips from an expert on saving your bees in hurricane!

Default Good Luck to those in FL - Tips from an expert on saving your bees in hurricane!

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird
    If the bees came from FL I would think they know how to survive the weather. I wouldn't move them unless there was a danger to flooding. Weight down the covers. 5gal pails of water work good.
    Try it. Put a 5 gal pail on a one deep empty box with a cover and see if it will blow off. Because the pail is round, wind will go around it in any direction. The wind is not as strong close to the ground as it is at roof top height. You need to prevent the wind from getting under the hive also. If it is elevated on a stand block the wind from getting under the hive. You could also fill the pail with sand instead of water.

What does a commercial guy do in FL with 1000 hives? He can't bring them all inside.
    They're predicting Irene will be a Cat-3 hurricane when it hits the East coast. Category 3 hurricanes have wind speeds ranging from 111 to 130 mph.

If I could drive 80-mph down the highway against a 30-mph head wind with a 5-gal pail of paint in the back of my truck I am sure it would not move. If the roof is going to blow off and the house blows down the hive it better off outside against a concrete wall with a cylindrical weight on top of the cover. You can further barricade the hive from the wind with yard stuff like a wooden picnic table, large tree branches, piles of skids, sheets of plywood, bricks, rocks, stone to deflect the wind upward. Think of a jet blast deflector wall at the end of a runway. What is the speed of a jet blast, 300-mph or better?

Trees blow over because they are tall and their sail area is at the top. Roofs come off especially in FL because the pitch is low making it like a wing shaped airfoil that literally sucks them off the building.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/arc.../t-259640.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Good Luck to those in FL - Tips from an expert on saving your bees in hurricane!

as a side note, he is now a resident in Florida, so if he has bee hive's maybe he will post how it worked out in real time.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Where have you been JW? I always got a kick out of your blunt, to the point posts. How are your bees? And yes best of luck to all on the path of Dorian. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they say. Stay safe.

I'm well, just don't have time to mess around on here. Bees are good, running about 50ish colonies the last few years. Raising all my own queens. Life is good in my bee world. 🙂
    Thanks for asking! Maybe I'll pop in here more during the winter.