Caught a swarm in one of the flower pot style traps

Default Caught a swarm in one of the flower pot style traps

I have hives at my side yard. A hanging swarm gathered on an apple tree limb near the hives, so I baited several traps around my yard to lure them. I've never had great success getting bees to stay in a hive box if a scoop them off a limb so that is why I set out traps. Well, the bees chose to take up residence in one of those flower pots style traps hanging in a pear tree some distance away from where they were hanging. They have been in the flower pot trap a little over a day now. I wish they would have chosen one of my other traps that have frames in them. So now their building comb without frames I'm sure. Got a feeling if I take the flower pot trap down out of the tree and dump them in a hive box with frames they will abscond. Suggestions on what to do? Leave them alone and deal with them later or chance an abscond and move them immediately?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Caught a swarm in one of the flower pot style traps

Shake them into a box with a frame of mixed brood and a frame or 2 of open stores.Screen them in for a day and provide shade.Do it soon before they orient to their new location.Absconding is severely reduced if you move them to a new bee yard.