Did I kill my Queen? NNOOOOO! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Did I kill my Queen? NNOOOOO!

Unfortunately, a day does make a difference. It takes 3.5 days for a freshly laid egg to hatch. So by looking on day 3, there could still be unhatched eggs from a now deceased queen. However, if you saw a whole bunch of eggs, especially if they where standing up, it would be a sign the queen was alive and laying.

I had hastily made a nuc in a downpour on the19th. I was not sure where the queen was, so checked it on the 21st, two days later. There were still plenty of eggs in the donor frame and no queen cells started, thought for sure the queen was in the nuc by mistake. Four days later I had capped queen cells and all was good.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ok. I had thought it was 3 day not 3.5 so i can see where that would make a difference. I will check them tomorrow after work. Unfortunatly thats 5pm for me but this hive is always really nice so hopefully they don't change into gremlins after 2pm. lol. I will make a post on what I find after that.
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

I HAVE EGGS!

Woohoo! This is one case where me being wrong is good! Sorry to cause you needless worry.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Great news!

A couple of weeks ago I marked a Queen and when I went to release her I tapped the marking cage about two times and smashed her. I threw a mad fit and came back to the hive and pushed her off the frame into the hive and closed it up.
    Made plans to take a couple Queen cells out of another hive the next day. Did that and waited a week to see if they emerged and there were eggs all over the place. I said now wait a minute how is this possible. After a while it dawned on me that the Queen survived and sure enough there was a Queen with a green mark. Unbelievable. So I marked the lid of that hive Queen Smash to tract her performance till spring/summer 2020. Taught me a lesson never throw a Queen in the grass because you thought you killed it.

Yes for sure! this was one of the biggest things I've learned about queens in a long time, and all thanks to the experience of the great people on this forum. Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT View Post
    Ugh! Judging by your answer shes dead. I even put softer foam on the plunger to prevent this. I may have to start practicing on hand picking drones then move to a queen. Next year. Isn't it a little late in the season for a supercedure? what are the odd this hive will make it through the winter?
    Yup, when I got my queen marking thingy, I practice every year on drones first. Sorry for your loss, I know how frustrating it can be. I've been lucky so far. I'm usually so nervous when I attempt to catch one of my queens, I keep missing her, so none of my 4 queens are marked, but I always have the tools handy, just in case.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    Yup, when I got my queen marking thingy, I practice every year on drones first. Sorry for your loss, I know how frustrating it can be. I've been lucky so far. I'm usually so nervous when I attempt to catch one of my queens, I keep missing her, so none of my 4 queens are marked, but I always have the tools handy, just in case.
    Oh no shes got to be alive, I checked for eggs 4 days later and there were eggs. So she must have fainted. I to will be practicing on drones for the rest of the year and next year.

Congratulations Juggernaut!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12