Pollen Fantastic This Year- and lots of drones still

Thumbs Up Pollen Fantastic This Year- and lots of drones still

I'm in the Central Oregon mountains and our rain=wildflowers=pollen is the most abundant I've seen in years- broad spectrum of colors too. My 5 hives have loads of drones still which I consider a sign of good health. What are the rest of you seeing w.r.t. pollen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pollen Fantastic This Year- and lots of drones still

We has a lousy spring and summer started late, snow at the end of May and still had some very cold nights in June. But we never had a dearth this year. I've still got hives making drone brood. My honey production is now about where it was in July of last year. Forecast is still for mid 90s (35C). Weatherman says its going to stay warm for a while and they are predicting a warmer than normal autumn. Because of the drones I did another round of grafting on the 18th. They went into mating nucs and provided I didn't kill them when setting up the mating nucs should be emerging today - shouldn't have any trouble mating with all the drones still around.
    Zone 5B

Default Re: Pollen Fantastic This Year- and lots of drones still

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I've still got hives making drone brood.
    Isn't that something. Drones seem to improve morale (mine and theirs). Yes, the weather made blooming late for many things but it looked like a great bee year in many respects. Almost no yellow jacket predation & lots of pollen. Watched the little bad asses ball up the few wasps that had the nerve to land on their boxes.