Hurricanes and bee hives... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hurricanes and bee hives...

Ventilation and more ventilation. Shipping containers get dreadfully hot inside when closed up. They get pretty warm when both doors are wide open too. Might not be bad while it is raining, but the period before the storm hits or even afterwards, could result in a whole lot of dead bees.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If you are locking your bees in just pay attention to the temperature. They can over heat quickly if the can't get to the entrance to fan and beard up. May also need to add some sugar water for them.

I almost locked my bees up before being warned by a mentor that lost several hives by locking them in the Tonneau cover of his truck during a severe storm. They are better off if you secure the boxes to the ground some how.

Quote Originally Posted by VadenTwin View Post
    If you are locking your bees in just pay attention to the temperature. They can over heat quickly if the can't get to the entrance to fan and beard up. May also need to add some sugar water for them.

I almost locked my bees up before being warned by a mentor that lost several hives by locking them in the Tonneau cover of his truck during a severe storm. They are better off if you secure the boxes to the ground some how.
    This is great feedback. So if we were to use this method we would need to add some type of ventilation to the containers. Honestly the last few storms destroyed the secured boxes across the entire island. It's estimated 70-80 percent of the population was wiped out. Looking for any type of alternatives or ideas!
    Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR Karma Honey Project

Thank you for all the advice. I ended up finding some tiedowns to hold the hives down and then putting another strap around the hive to hold it together.
    IMG_3649.jpg

The wild bees survive these storms with fewer issues mainly because they are usually in trees that are above the flood level. Only thing I can think to do is get the boxes above the possible flood level and make sure they are secured. Bees locked in a box can get really hot really fast. If you use screen bottoms that will help but I'm not even sure that would be enough. My personal opinion is get them above any flood level and shield as much from rain blowing directly into entrance and let them ride it out. It's a tough spot to be in... Keep trying things that have failed in the past or risk something new that could fail as bad or worse. Maybe move them into a macasina and make sure they are above flood level

Great Pic srockey. Did you reduce your entrance or is that the normal size you use? My setup was very similar to yours but I keep the medium size opening (3-4inches). I have a very low flood risk. My main danger is wind and trees.

I use the small entrance for all my hives. I have been told it helps keep the robbers at bay. I, too have no real flooding risk, it was the wind that worried me. Thank goodness we got a "pass" on this hurricane.

i was told the same thing but my bees would beard up mid afternoon in the heat of the day. When I went to the next size up they stopped. Gabrielle is going to spin around the open Atlantic. There is a solid wave coming off the African coast though.

Quote Originally Posted by srockey View Post
    Thank you for all the advice. I ended up finding some tiedowns to hold the hives down and then putting another strap around the hive to hold it together.
    IMG_3649.jpg
    I would be inclined to put the strap around the hive under the brick rather than on top of it. I suspect that the hive is going to wiggle a bit in the high wind, and the brick may start to cut thru the strap. With the brick on top of the strap I think it will be less likely to cut thru the strap.

I don't have any experience with hives in high wind, but this is what came to mind looking at your picture.

189B52B7-8B9F-4BF9-8D55-6AB55E78E831.jpg
    Iím a backyard keeper with 7 hives. I live in Miami. Itís not possible to drive screw tie downs into my yard. This is the best I could do when preparing for Dorian. This got my hives through Irma a couple of years ago but that wasnít much of a hurricane. I donít have much hope if we get hit by a Cat3 or higher storm.

I recently met a Keeper from Grand Bahama Island. Iím sure he lost everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12