Mosquito spray companies

Default Mosquito spray companies

Hey guys and gals. I've had a thought as I drive around my suburban town.i feel as if the signs for mosquito authority, mosquito Joe, mosquito shield and the like have exploded in the last couple of years. I've spoken to resident who mention the service and that they may spray up to 7 times in a summer.its hard to figure out what chemicals the companies use and I have heard here's an organic (garlic?) Option that is being touted. This got me thinking how much the proliferation of mosquito control companies is affecting local pollinators and by extension, our bees.im sure there aren't studies on this, but do you get the feeling that this is likely having a significant impact in the suburbs? And if so, what can we do to mitigate this trend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mosquito spray companies

In our County we register every one of our apiaries with the mosquito authority. I'd probably have to contact the independent companies and let them know where your bee's are. A few years back I actually stopped a guy who came through spraying in the middle of the day.

We used this when we lived in the 'burbs' and it worked amazingly well. I believe they use pyrethrin, or pyrethrum. It is supposed to be an extract of chrysanthemum, but I think the pyrethrin version is a synthetic.

I was amazed that after a fogging of our yard with it, there would be 0 mosquitoes for a couple of months. Even though the neighbors on all three sides did not get sprayed, and it was a basically a continuous batch of ground ivy in all the back yards (horrible breeding grounds for mosquitoes).

He said that mosquitoes really don't go wander more than 30 feed from where they are born their entire life.

anyway, the pyrethrum is supposedly organic, but is probably bad for bees if they come into contact with it for the first couple of hours after spraying, and then it is supposed to dissipate.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBeeVet View Post
    ... its hard to figure out what chemicals the companies use and I have heard here's an organic (garlic?) Option that is being touted. ...
    There is a disturbing trend toward Bti.The Bti agent is a protein crystal derived from the soil-borne Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis. One can breed Bti, extract the crystals and apply them with ice granules by helicopter on the surfaces.

Why would it be a disturbing trend toward BtI? It doesnt harm bees or humans.
    https://www.epa.gov/mosquitocontrol/...squito-control

My county sprays Pe​rmanone 30-30​ within 50 feet (possibly less) of my hives. I've never seen any effect on the bees, even when they are bearding outside of the hive. Makes me wonder if it does anything to the mosquitos.

My bees sit 95 yards from the street. Houston, Texas area

I got home last March from a trip to find that the bees were trying to swarm but just moved up under the over hang I had on the hive. Could not mess with them that evening. I use old plastic yard signs for extended roof covers and to set nucs on. Guessing the old queen could not fly?

They were fine at 10 pm all balled up under the roof and the next morning at daylight I went to box the swarm and found no bees out on the front of the hive but several quarts of dead bees in front of the hive.

They sprayed for Mosquitoes that night in the subdivision. What?