I think I may have CBPV

Default I think I may have CBPV

Please see videos attached.

The first one is about the bee on the screen on bottom of hive, jumping around.

One shows what I'm seeing in some bees. The erratic jumping around, looking like they are trying to fly, but hanging on so they don't take off. I have seen some jump off the top of the hive and actually take flight. I've also just saw one today flop around on the landing board and basically do a suicide leap to the ground.

Each time I open the hive, I see only a few (less that 10, I'd say) in a full inspection. The queen is not even laying anymore. Not seeing big mounds of dead bees at entrance or on ground, but the grass is pretty high there so that could be deceiving.

they have plenty of honey and nectar stored. I'm feeding pollen patties, but they are mostly ignoring them.

another video is what the other bees look like. pretty calm and to my eyes, they look ok.

I can re-queen this hive in a week or so if it is worth saving, and it wont infect my other hives (I have 15, very close).
    It's not an extremely strong hive at this point, and I was planning on combining it with another not so strong hive to see if they could combine forces and get through winter.

looking for opinions on what is happening.

https://youtu.be/lZ-JHP2OIMI
    https://youtu.be/LR9kv2ICBrM

btw: my point in adding the video of the bees on comb is that they all look calm and healthy, but everytime I open the hive I see a dozen or so bee's that are greatly affected with something (by their quirky actions) and I don't want it to spread to other hives if that is a possibility... but don't want to destroy the hive if it could rebuild with new queen and additional resources.

Don
    Last edited by dddillon; 08-26-2019 at 07:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I think I may have CBPV

couldn't see anything in the videos. see post #6

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...perince-Wanted
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Here are a couple more videos that better show what I'm seeing with my bees.

https://youtu.be/C8jcL-E8lV4
    https://youtu.be/Lopbu1ShlcY

thanks for any input on this.

[QUOTE=dddillon;1751131]Here are a couple more videos that better show what I'm seeing with my bees.

I'm not seeing it. Show us the video of the pile of dead and dying bees in front of the hive and I might agree with your assessment.

[QUOTE=Gino45;1751149]
    Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    Here are a couple more videos that better show what I'm seeing with my bees.

I'm not seeing it. Show us the video of the pile of dead and dying bees in front of the hive and I might agree with your assessment.
    Gino, you don't see the bees jumping around like their feet are on fire, or you don't think that it is a problem?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm only third year beek and not sure if I'm seeing a start of a disease, or just bees acting more goofy than normal.

I don't see a big pile of bees in front of the hive
    Last edited by dddillon; 08-28-2019 at 07:57 AM.

I agree that those bees are not acting right, there’s other things to be looked at.
    1 mite load (weakened bees will act strangely)
    2 brood pattern and condition of larvae (nice fat pearly white larvae with no hint of yellow in a consistent pattern.)
    3 has the colony enough stores to sustain brood rearing. If there’s little nectar in the frames you might have to feed. One can’t go by the amount of capped honey, bees loathe to uncap honey for feed or too far away from the brood nest.
    IMO all the above could lead to weakened bees and erratic behavior.
    Rod

Stewart Spinks has been working with a colony with CBPV for almost 2 seasons now and has posted some interesting things about it.

Here is a youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgNd...ature=youtu.be

If the youtube link does not work, google "Stewart Spinks CBPV"

Good luck.

contact BVS, Inc 795 Porter Hill Rd Stevensville, MT 59870

You may email me at [email protected] they can test your sample
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Stewart Spinks has been working with a colony with CBPV for almost 2 seasons now and has posted some interesting things about it.

Here is a youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgNd...ature=youtu.be

If the youtube link does not work, google "Stewart Spinks CBPV"

Good luck.
    thanks,
    I listen to Stewart's podcast, which is why I thought I may have CBPV

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    thanks,
    I listen to Stewart's podcast, which is why I thought I may have CBPV
    There is said to be no treatment for CBPV other than requeening. I'll admit to not watching the whole video, but if they really have
    the virus, expect to see dead and dying bees in front of the hive. It's also transferable by contact,
    I agree that you may have a developing mite problem, which will eventually show up in the brood nest.

IOW, I would suggest treating for mites and then requeening the hive.

A couple of years ago, I volunteered some hives for a study being conducted through state apiary inspectors throughout the country. The Beltsville report came back with some indication of CBPV. The indication was higher than DWV and I noticed a few DWV bees in my hives at the time of inspection. Of course, paranoia struck and I was looking for every twitch after I got the report back, but never could find any symptoms.

Please keep us posted. I have not had any experiences with CBPV (at least that I have been aware of) and I would like to know more about it.