Formic Pro deadouts - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

Formic Pro is a great product if used as directed. I have had no issues with it. I would never use on a single brood box without adding a few other boxes on top of it. Read the direction!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    That is rough, on that note I have four 2 dose pails for sale cheap, expires in May, I don't believe I'll use it, have 0 mites almost
    Send them this way, Have no problem with them at all.

I am no chemist, but I am now wondering if formic acid reacts with the polystyrene to produce a toxic gas. The dead grass in front of the hives reminds me of chlorine gas releases and the subsequent vegetation kills. Just food for thought. Anyone else use Formic Pro or MAQS in styrofoam hives?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    ...I am now wondering if formic acid reacts with the polystyrene to produce a toxic gas....
    Formic acid is already in the honey. It has no chlorine -- it is an organic (meaning it is made of carbon) molecule made of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen (CH2O2). I doubt it'd react with the any plastics used in the hive.

All Formic Pro and MAQS do is to increase the levels in the hive enough to kill the mites. Some have complained about effects on queens, but I've never seen any harm whatsoever to my bees -- including the queens. I've never seen it kill vegetation around my hives.

I suspect that any problems are due to applying in a hive with too-small of a volume (nucs) and at temperatures outside those listed on the label.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

The dead grass in front of the hives reminds me of chlorine gas releases and the subsequent vegetation kills. J
    formic has been killing the grass in front of the hives since the first release of mite a way II's, it's normal and expected.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Thanks wildbranch. I have never used formic and have never heard about the grass kills before. Thought it might be a clue as to what happened. Something was different since most folks are able to use formic without much damage and the OP had what appears to be a 100% failure rate. The question is why?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by blainenay View Post
    I suspect that any problems are due to applying in a hive with too-small of a volume (nucs) and at temperatures outside those listed on the label.
    No, I most certainly had a second super on every treated hive and thankfully daytime highs never got above 70, we have been in a cool streak for quite a while now. These were 10 frame deeps. Nighttime lows we're hovering right around 50 degrees. And read my words from above. I read directions backwards and forwards, and from several sources, but I paid particular attention to NOD Apiaries instructions, videos and the two phone calls that I made to them. I also read every frequently Asked question on their website.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 08-29-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Quote was not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by billdean View Post
    Read the direction!
    DID SO!

Quote Originally Posted by blainenay View Post
    Formic acid is already in the honey. It has no chlorine -- it is an organic (meaning it is made of carbon) molecule made of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen (CH2O2). I doubt it'd react with the any plastics used in the hive.

All Formic Pro and MAQS do is to increase the levels in the hive enough to kill the mites. Some have complained about effects on queens, but I've never seen any harm whatsoever to my bees -- including the queens. I've never seen it kill vegetation around my hives.

^^^THIS^^^

Quote Originally Posted by calkal View Post
    Here's the picture of the grass that was killed by the formic Pro in front of every hive. and another picture of a bottom board with dead bees and brood, most of the bottom boards had more dead bees than this board shows. And the last picture shows the dead grass around the dead brood that I knocked off of each Bottom board. Just saying be super cautious with this product I estimate that I lost 50% of my apiary.
    pic 1: is that an entrance reducer?
    pic 2: i see propolis marks from an entrance reducer. was it pulled more than a week before applying formic?
    pic 3: if that is all the bees from a single (or even half) then they should have been considered a weak hive and not dosed 2 strips.

FWIW, i use MAQS on singles with a medium super and consistently get about a cup of dead bees. also tried with half width entrances this spring, no difference.

but to answer your question: i would think you have enough time yet to put those boxes of dead larvae comb on your remaining colonies to be cleaned out.

I have 7 styrofoam hives with NO ill effects from Formic Pro. I also treated 35 wood hives. It's a great product when use as directed. Applying in a hive with too-small of a volume will cause some loss. So will leaving in the entrance reducer, and too high of temps for the first 3 days.

sorry double post
    Last edited by billdean; 08-29-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: sorry double post

We have become so accustomed to treating for mites with a variety of chemicals, that we can easily forget these ar every potent chemicals and can be hazardous to not only bees but also to ourselves. Be careful when you hear the term"organic" and "all ready in honey" as these terms do not accurately define the strength of the soultion or application in context of the dosage applied to your hives or that which might be in contact with your skin, lungs or eyes. These are very potent chemicals and should be used only with caution and in accordance with the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    We have become so accustomed to treating for mites with a variety of chemicals, that we can easily forget these ar every potent chemicals and can be hazardous to not only bees but also to ourselves. Be careful when you hear the term"organic" and "all ready in honey" as these terms do not accurately define the strength of the soultion or application in context of the dosage applied to your hives or that which might be in contact with your skin, lungs or eyes. These are very potent chemicals and should be used only with caution and in accordance with the instructions.
    OA vapor is not harmful to bees, if the dose is measured correctly.

Like formic acid, OA vapor is safe to use with honey supers present.

Outside temperature makes very little difference.

I cannot say the same for Formic Acid vapor.

I checked out the prices for treating hives with Formic pro and MAQS and was surprised to see how expensive this treatment was.

Quote Originally Posted by billdean View Post
    I have 7 styrofoam hives with NO ill effects from Formic Pro. I also treated 35 wood hives. It's a great product when use as directed. Applying in a hive with too-small of a volume will cause some loss. So will leaving in the entrance reducer, and too high of temps for the first 3 days.
    Should add that a colony low in population also increases potential for harm. Not enough fanning to circulate fumes.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    OA vapor is not harmful to bees, if the dose is measured correctly.

Like formic acid, OA vapor is safe to use with honey supers present.

Outside temperature makes very little difference.

I cannot say the same for Formic Acid vapor.

I checked out the prices for treating hives with Formic pro and MAQS and was surprised to see how expensive this treatment was.
    It maybe safe but, I don't believe it is an approved method in the US with honey supers on.

wonder if you just got a crazy batch of formic pro. I have literally had NO issues with formic acid and i use it every year.

I am no chemist, but I am now wondering if formic acid reacts with the polystyrene to produce a toxic gas. The dead grass in front of the hives reminds me of chlorine gas releases and the subsequent vegetation kills. Just food for thought. Anyone else use Formic Pro or MAQS in styrofoam hives?

Never used a styrofoam hive but have used formic way back to the days when only had to deal with tracheal mites. Formic is a pretty consistent killer of grass in front of hives regardless of how they are configured the best I can tell. In fact if I don't see dead grass I immediately wonder if it worked

I used Formic Pro on a number of hives last year with success. In a number of cases tall grass in front of the hives was burned. I've heard that formic is heavier than air so it will concentrate low in the hive and flow out of the entrance.

So, outside of incorrect dosage, and calkal is certain he followed the instructions precisely, anyone have a hypothesis as to what happened? I am not ready to chalk it up to operator error, yet. Maybe those that successfully use formic can walk us through the typical treatment and any special precautions you take, like putting a stick under the top, or removing a screened bottom board insert. I think removing the entrance reducer was already mentioned. I love a good mystery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast