Formic Pro deadouts - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    A summer of Lyme has me way behind and in trouble for spring. Just could not pull queens on time and got only one, lost the entire next batch and set no more. Anyway multiple OAV is still not going to happen, that first one took two days and killed me in part because the splits to be made are now triples with honey on top. I'm not up to moving those supers again or really to harvest just yet, getting better though.

    So I am way late and looking for Formic Pro to bail me out with a late but better than none mite control.

    I get opening them up to vent, but what about robbing? Are the fumes just too much to allow robbing?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    So I am way late and looking for Formic Pro to bail me out with a late but better than none mite control.

    I get opening them up to vent, but what about robbing? Are the fumes just too much to allow robbing?
    I have only ever used it when a honey flow was on, and never had a problem with robbing and I always use the one pad followed by one pad 10 days later. if the splits you are talking about are 3 high nuc boxes, I would worry about the small entrance and would probably do as some one else said here, use half a pad.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    10,036

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Bees will certainly rob a hive being treated with formic, if things are not set up right.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Well OT, don't leave me hanging! how is setup right with honey on or do I just have to get it off.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Somerset, NJ
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    I have never had an issue with Formic Pro but I tend to be extra cautious with it. I only apply one pad even on a double deep with a honey super on top. Follow the first pad with a second at 10 days. Just seems to make sense to be conservative with this harsh chemical.

    Jon

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    A summer of Lyme has me way behind and in trouble for spring. Just could not pull queens on time and got only one, lost the entire next batch and set no more. Anyway multiple OAV is still not going to happen, that first one took two days and killed me in part because the splits to be made are now triples with honey on top. I'm not up to moving those supers again or really to harvest just yet, getting better though.

    So I am way late and looking for Formic Pro to bail me out with a late but better than none mite control.

    I get opening them up to vent, but what about robbing? Are the fumes just too much to allow robbing?
    What OA vaporizer are you using?

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Really do not remember. Standard glow plug in AL pan with battery hook up.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Believe I will rip some pine to # 8 hardware cloth opening and place as short corner spacers between boxes. More vent than slide back, plenty of tempting gaps for robbers that they will not fit through.

    Anybody give the formic a little time to breath off that first heavy shot of acid before installing?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Really do not remember. Standard glow plug in AL pan with battery hook up.
    That's your issue.

    Johno's Easy vap, or if you're rich, the provap 110.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    No, the issue is moving honey four times this late. Only twice is about twice as good.
    Bees are not the only thing I'm behind on.

    Not rich, am cheap. Maybe next year.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Oxalic acid vapor is safe to use with honey supers, no need to move them.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    There's safe and there is approved.
    I'm not going to eat it all myself, I have a higher standard when feeding others than when feeding myself.
    Not budging on this one.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    There's safe and there is approved.
    I'm not going to eat it all myself, I have a higher standard when feeding others than when feeding myself.
    Not budging on this one.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  15. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    There's safe and there is approved.
    I'm not going to eat it all myself, I have a higher standard when feeding others than when feeding myself.
    Not budging on this one.
    It's your decision, but your options dwindle - now you've got to go spend a bunch of money on formic acid treatments. Or spend a fortune on Apivar, etc.

    Just to reiterate previous threads:

    OAV "contamination" after a 5X 2 gram OA treatment is about as "dangerous" as eating a serving of tofu.

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Not budging on this one.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,361

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    I'm not worried about the honey. I'm worried about the crazies. Think about the people that make a living measuring ADA toilet seats. (It wasn't the hot coffee from my own cup! It was the wood bleach! Have you seen what it will do to a deck! It burned my mouth and now I can't taste any food! I had dreams of being a chef! ) Those that would say it and those who would believe it.

    Not all rules are meant to be broken. You pick yours to break, I'll pick mine.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  18. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    This is a good point.

  19. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Zionsville, IN, USA
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    To prevent robbing while using Formic, I take strips of hardware cloth to cover where entrance reducer would be. Cut an opening that bees can defend. Required airflow still passes thru hardware cloth and protects against robbing.

  20. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I'm not worried about the honey. I'm worried about the crazies. Think about the people that make a living measuring ADA toilet seats. (It wasn't the hot coffee from my own cup! It was the wood bleach! Have you seen what it will do to a deck! It burned my mouth and now I can't taste any food! I had dreams of being a chef! ) Those that would say it and those who would believe it.

    Not all rules are meant to be broken. You pick yours to break, I'll pick mine.
    You use a good example. I see where you're coming from.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

  21. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater Apiary View Post
    To prevent robbing while using Formic, I take strips of hardware cloth to cover where entrance reducer would be. Cut an opening that bees can defend. Required airflow still passes thru hardware cloth and protects against robbing.
    I like that idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •