Formic Pro deadouts
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Formic Pro deadouts

I dusted about 25 of my 100 colonies with Formic Pro...disgustingly sad story. Anyway I have a whole mess of newly drawn combs full of capped brood and dead open brood. I want to save these combs. How should I keep them. Will they keep with the dead bees in them, do I need to clean them out, if so how would ya'll recommend doing so? If it were summer I would just give them to stronger colonies to clean out but we are winding summer up fast here in zone 3.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Formic Pro deadouts

What do you mean by "dusted about 25 of my 100 colonies with formic pro". Formic Pro comes in a pad. Please help me understand your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorjet View Post
    What do you mean by "dusted about 25 of my 100 colonies with formic pro". Formic Pro comes in a pad. Please help me understand your comment.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I would be interested in what you "dusted" them with too. What is the brand name of the product you thought was formic acid? Or, are you using the word dusted to mean killed, a la 1930s gangster vernacular? Formic Pro and MAQS can be very hard on the bees if the temps get too high.

I would try to get the bees to clean them up. Dead bees do not store well and tend to get all moldy. Yuck.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Earlier posts by op suggest he treated 25 nucs, the directions say only use on a full hive.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

If you cannot get them cleaned by bees, try to store them as cool and dry as possible so the larvae will dry rather than turn to slime and mould. If they can be turned to dry scale the bees will have little trouble cleaning them out next season.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

So sorry for the loose terminology...yes I mean I killed them. Many absconded, many had piles of dead bees and brood on the bottom boards (about 6-8 cups) even though many of the colonies were packed singles. The ones that took it really hard were all singles that had less than 10 frames of bees. I had many singles with 6-9 frames of bees,two strips was way to much for them...it destroyed them. I read the instructions from the NOD website, read ALL of the FAQ found there, watched the NOD tutorial 3 times, read the instructions on the pail, and called NOD twice preapplication to ask more questions. I followed all directions. I do have some strong singles and strong doubles still. Can I add a full box of deadout combs to have them clean out or is that too much work for them?

Ouch, your experience is one of the reasons I am scared of formic acid. Too many horror stories of weather changing and inadequate ventilation causing dead queens, brood, and bees. Sorry for your losses.

My feeling us that you should put the boxes of comb on the other hives for cleanup. Bees should have everything cleaned up within a weeks time. If nothing else, get the frames with brood and stuck bees on the hives and set all the rest out to be robbed out. They will clean those frames too. I had a hive this year that died. I could smell the dead bees. By the time I went in to take care of the mess, the frames of comb were perfectly clean. And I got them before the wax moths did.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks JW, I just came in from sorting the combs so now I am ready to do what you suggested...thank you.

Zone 3???????

Why are you questioning Zone 3? I don't understand what your question is?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Zone 3???????
    https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Do those temperatures on the hardiness zone include wind chill?

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    Earlier posts by op suggest he treated 25 nucs, the directions say only use on a full hive.
    I use half of a sheet of MAQs on nucs that have 5 frames. No issues.
    Terrence

Here's the picture of the grass that was killed by the formic Pro in front of every hive. and another picture of a bottom board with dead bees and brood, most of the bottom boards had more dead bees than this board shows. And the last picture shows the dead grass around the dead brood that I knocked off of each Bottom board. Just saying be super cautious with this product I estimate that I lost 50% of my apiary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is rough, on that note I have four 2 dose pails for sale cheap, expires in May, I don't believe I'll use it, have 0 mites almost
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

Calkal, are all your hives poly and sitting on the ground like the one in the picture?

They are poly, this was a swarm I captured and I left the hive there for a few weeks. Normally I have them up off the ground about 18 in. All the hives had dead grass out front even the ones 18 inches off the ground.

MAQS has worked perfectly and safely for me every time. I see no reason why Formic Pro would behave differently. As always, follow the label!
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

weird i have treated nucs with single formic pro pads with no issues at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast