I have a couple of hives that I need to move by spring-ish. They are in a location that was not well chosen, as they fly through the pathway to the garden. They are not an urgent problem (they haven't stung anyone), but my wife asked that I move them "by spring."
I will move them a minimum of 50 feet, and maybe as much as 500 feet or so, depending on where I decide to put them. They are still active, and the population is high. They are heavy with winter stores.
When would you move them? I am thinking late winter, before activity picks up? They will be lighter, and who knows, they may not even survive until then. But what would be best, the least disruption, for the colony?