When (time of year) to move hives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: When (time of year) to move hives

i move a few hives to a friends farm spring-summer. I just brought them back a couple weeks ago.
    -> just use a furniture dolly, fully screened inner cover with no outer cover for the drive. Pick a coolish not raining day
    -> ratchet strap the hives together, put robbing screen over entrance and bring them home on the trailer-> did it on my own piece of cake.

Will be putting 10-12 hives there next year

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

We move ours now and then, a lot of times just within the bee yard. Being on the far side of 50 we try to only move when lighter, like after supers removed, before winter build up, or early spring/late winter when they are lighter.

All we do is close down in the evening or morning, move them, then put a evergreen branch across the opening. The bees have to crawl out and they reorient. Works every time. I always watch when I open them up and you can see the circle flights.

We did buy one of those hive carriers from mann lake, makes it a bit easier on us.
    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/hive-carrier

We have moved them with the top box full of capped honey, just prefer not to.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    I have a couple of hives that I need to move by spring-ish. They are in a location that was not well chosen, as they fly through the pathway to the garden. They are not an urgent problem (they haven't stung anyone), but my wife asked that I move them "by spring."

I will move them a minimum of 50 feet, and maybe as much as 500 feet or so, depending on where I decide to put them. They are still active, and the population is high. They are heavy with winter stores.

When would you move them? I am thinking late winter, before activity picks up? They will be lighter, and who knows, they may not even survive until then. But what would be best, the least disruption, for the colony?
    Move them anytime you see fit. Bees always adjust to new location.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    Move them anytime you see fit. Bees always adjust to new location.
    The bees which stay with the hive will re-adjust - but what about those foragers which fly off to forage, not realising that the hive has been moved - what happens to them ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I had to move my hive in late summer from one end of the back yard to the other, around 20 meters. Unfortunately, it had to be on a work day, which meant the hive was in lock down til mid afternoon.

This thing of three feet or three miles can be circumnavigated- you have to make it as difficult as possible for them to get out, making them re-orientate.

i did leave a bait box at the original site and was going to sneak the contents into the hive just on dawn the next day, but decided to check what was in it and found less than a handful, so it just got left under the hive.

I dont know if there is a best time to move a hive, but if it needs to be moved then thats just the what has to happen.
    One thing I did get worried about was seeing how many foragers went back to the original site. My heart sank.
    Then just before it was starting to get dark, they swirled around and around and headed for the new site.
    the next day, the same thing but less of them and after that, business as usual at the new site.

I did leave all the branches and leafy twigs over the entranceway for a week just to make sure everyone got the message that "their tree had fallen down/moved".

I do something like Gregv https://www.beesource.com/forums/att...7&d=1567102240 but a couple tab screw onto the 2x4. With some real course thread rod with wing nuts to squeeze the bottom box. I still ratchet strap them together.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    The bees which stay with the hive will re-adjust - but what about those foragers which fly off to forage, not realising that the hive has been moved - what happens to them ?
    LJ
    Sorry, what I meant was that you can move a hive anytime during the year. In terms of actual moving, I would wait until all foragers are home and then close up the hive after dark. If there are bees outside the hive I will use smoke to move them inside before closing. After moving I orient the hive in a different direction from the direction it was before the move. Also I do something to the entrance to tell the bees that the entrance is different. It may be as simple as plugging the entrance with grass or forcing them to go through a foot long 2" plastic pipe. It is inevitable that some foragers are lost when you move a hive during the season. If the move is less than 2 miles some foragers will fly back to original location. Having a hive box with a few drawn frames will help them to gather. Those foragers can be moved to the new location or combined to an established hive nearby.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I decided to wait until early spring.

Nancy, your always-thorough replies are appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12