Melting down burr comb with larvae

Default Melting down burr comb with larvae

I had to remove a lot of burr comb from a hive today. It has a good bit of drone brood in it. I removed quite a few and only found 2 mites, so that's ok. However, I was wondering if I can melt this wax down? I usually just pitch it when it has brood in it, but it seems such a waste. What does everyone do with wax like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Melting down burr comb with larvae

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyHill View Post
    I had to remove a lot of burr comb from a hive today. It has a good bit of drone brood in it. I removed quite a few and only found 2 mites, so that's ok. However, I was wondering if I can melt this wax down? I usually just pitch it when it has brood in it, but it seems such a waste. What does everyone do with wax like this?
    Solar wax melter with 16th inch rough strainer above the pan it flows into.

Pan of boiling water and a strainer. Smells terrible. Toss the boiled larvae out for the birds (or send it to GregV) and process the wax as usual. The wax is usually very nice and light yellow like cappings wax. Sorry Greg.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

As noted above, the wax melts fine and there's a YouTube where a guy sautés some larvae for snacks if you don't want to waste them either.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Discard or feed them to the chickens. There is such a tiny amount of wax there that its not worth the effort if there is brood in it. Mine goes over the fence into the neighbor's chicken yard (with his permission) and the birds go crazy for them.
    Zone 5B

I guess it depends on just how much burr comb there actually is, and how badly you need wax. When I did my burr comb, there was enough to wax the starter strips on a bunch of frames. Not enough to break out the candle molds of course, but is was still worthwhile. The amount I normally process is less than 1# at a time. Last week, for the first time ever, I processed 2 full pounds from a cross combed deep.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Whatever you do, just don't leave it in a bucket, get busy, and forget about it. Trust me. Lol
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.